Laptop Battery Life Between Charges

The Spires 11:19 30 Mar 2005

A friend of mine recently purchase an Athlon 2.8+ based laptop in February this year& she is quite concerned about the limited battery life. At best the battery fades in 45 mins at worst less than 25 mins. I know the battery was conditioned fro new as I installed software etc & I did a full charge then total discharge then a full charge then another full discharge as instructed by Novatech.

As I have limited dealings with laptops I am interested what could be deemed a reasonable battery life between charges using the machine for surfing the net for example. I am going to ring Novatech up for her today & see what can be done.

stlucia 12:58 30 Mar 2005

Some of the PC Advisor laptop reviews indicate that battery life is 2 to 3 hours or more under their standard test conditions. Not sure how this relates to your personal use, but 45 minutes sounds much too little for a new battery.

fitcher 13:15 30 Mar 2005

my laptop has a battery life of two hours .and less if used with the cdrom. .or games .now I would like to know, should a battery be run down and recharged ,and is that, the best to do ,or, if one engages the power supply each time one uses a laptop ,I don't know ? .my son says his laptop battery is actualy lasting longer than when he first bought his laptop .perhaps a few full discharges helps ,alan

fitcher 13:16 30 Mar 2005

my laptop has a battery life of two hours .and less if used with the cdrom. .or games .now I would like to know, should a battery be run down and recharged ,and is that, the best to do ,or, if one engages the power supply each time one uses a laptop ,I don't know ? .my son says his laptop battery is actualy lasting longer than when he first bought his laptop .perhaps a few full discharges helps ,alan

Fingees 13:47 30 Mar 2005

Batteries should be run down to about 10% of charge.
Not to absolute zero charge, as this can damage certain batteries.

If they keep getting charged before being drained, ie by continually being used on mains,in a state of semi-charge they develope a memory like Nicads, then refuse to discharge past this point,
or sometimes charge past this point

wee eddie 15:38 30 Mar 2005

Just tested my Advent 7007. Not a cutting edge machine nor particularly efficient.

I got 40 minutes surfing out of a battery that has been ,almost, permanently connected to the mains for over 2 years.

It goes walkabout every week or so but otherwise just sits there, connected.

I ran the test as I cannot remember any review that mentioned such a low running time. 80/90 minutes seem to have been regarded as a pretty weak performance.

woodchip 16:08 30 Mar 2005

Don't use my battery it as been stored in fridge from new at about 45% charge. And also got a 300watt Inverter so can use in car or from a car booster battery starter

The Spires 16:23 30 Mar 2005

Points taken, thank you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:58 30 Mar 2005

Laptop Batteries
click here

The Spires 20:12 30 Mar 2005

Thanks it seems 30 mins or so is unreasonable for a month old Pc.

woodchip 20:20 30 Mar 2005

It depends on the CPU and how much you give it to do. Decided from go. As a new battery for my Laptop come out at £165 and the last about two years

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)