Laptop and Battery Life

lulubelle 17:44 26 Dec 2007

Hi All,
I have recently become the proud owner of a Toshiba Laptop.(A Desktop replacement)
Someone told me that if I am mostly going to use it connected to the mains, then I should remove the battery to conserve it's life. Is this true?
Thanks in advance.

Technotiger 18:00 26 Dec 2007

Hmm, I don't think so. Many people use their laptops as desktop but leave the battery in, does not appear to do any harm either to laptop or battery. On the other hand, many people take their batteries out - just personal choice I guess.

rdave13 18:06 26 Dec 2007

I leave mine in incase of a power-cut.

sean-278262 18:08 26 Dec 2007

My laptop is 2 years old and like yours is a desktop replacement gaming machine. I have left the battery in the unit for its entire life. If you leave it in the system will keep it charged up which is what lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries like. NiCd and NiMh batteries on older machines need to be discharged regularly and fully to keep them working their best but todays laptops use lithium which means they do not need to be removed.

Ideally run your laptop down till it shuts down about once a month, this will help keep the battery meter on the system running accurate. The story of batteries needing to be removed is an urban legend based upon old requirements to discharge nickel based batteries from 10 years ago. If there is anything else you want to know about batteries feel free to ask.

A

brundle 18:11 26 Dec 2007

Longer lasting battery
When you’re using your laptop from a mains power supply you should always try to remove the laptop battery if you’re not charging it. If you do leave it in for long periods of time it will discharge. The battery will be in charging constantly which in turn will result in a reduction of its lifespan. It will be capable of a finite number of charging cycles so only connect it to your laptop when absolutely necessary.

In addition, remember that you should run the battery down as low as you can before charging it up each time. If you’re working with a new battery pack then it’ll need to be fully charged and discharged before it works to capacity.

click here

lulubelle 18:19 26 Dec 2007

Hi Guys,
Thanks to all of you for responding. The trouble is I seem to have two different views as to what is the best thing to do.
Anyone else with an opinion on this?

Jim_F 21:20 26 Dec 2007

It depends on your priorities - if you just want the battery to tide you over for short periods (up to an hour or so) then relax and use the machine as you wish.
It is possible to improve battery performance (charge level) by taking the battery through full charge/discharge cycles but these also wear it out - catch 22.
The exception is that most battery manufacturers recommend a full charge/discharge for the first 2-3 uses.
BTW - many sellers have laptop batteries at around £50 - some have better capacity than the originals.

woodchip 22:00 26 Dec 2007

To your Post yes it's true, Charge it to about 60% put in plastic bag and put in fridge, NOT FREEZER

I have a Medion that's about 2.5 years old the Battery is as good as new. I only put it in when I go away with caravan

woodchip 22:02 26 Dec 2007

I did not go as far as brundle, But what he say sum's it up in is last post

woodchip 22:15 26 Dec 2007
  kjrider 22:37 26 Dec 2007

Try this forum click here

KJR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?