laptop batterie

jonostar 20:32 19 Oct 2004

just got a new laptop .. a dell inspiron 5150... jsut wondering whats thew best way to maintain the batterie life.. and should i have the batterie in when i have the laptop plugged in to the mains,,thanks fro any help... oh and my windows sp2 dont recognise my virus software but i tlooks as though its runnoing ok.. its a trial of panda.. and do i need a firewall or is the windows one good enough .. thanks for help.

TomJerry 20:38 19 Oct 2004

The best free one. XP only stop in not out caused by emeny within.

TomJerry 20:39 19 Oct 2004

If you use main frequently, best take off the battery.

Djohn 20:45 19 Oct 2004

click here and click here for plenty of tips on how to check/look after your battery. :o)

Dorsai 21:08 19 Oct 2004

There are several differnt types of re-chargeable battery. The best way to look after one will kill the next.

The battery in the Lap-top will almost certianly have a label on it which, among other info, will say what type it is, Ni-MH, Ni-Cad,Li-I, etc...

Most likely Lithium Ion, in a modern laptop..

to copy another post

A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.

Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate. (Read more in 'Choosing the right battery for portable computing', Part Two.)

Aging of lithium-ion is an issue that is often ignored. lithium-based batteries have a lifetime of 2-3 years. The clock starts ticking as soon as the battery comes off the manufacturing line. The capacity loss manifests itself in increased internal resistance caused by oxidation. Eventually, the cell resistance will reach a point where the pack can no longer deliver the stored energy, although the battery may still contain ample charge. Increasing internal resistance is common to cobalt-based lithium-ion, a chemistry that is found in laptops and cell phones. The lower energy dense manganese-based lithium-ion, also known as spinel, maintains the internal resistance through its life but loses capacity due to chemical decompositions."

jonostar 17:37 20 Oct 2004

thaks to one n all!!!!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?