Laptop backups

sjl17 13:53 08 Feb 2007

I've just bought 10 laptops, all exactly the same, I have had to install all the relevant software on to each of them - which has taken me hours!!
I'm worried that if ever I need to reinstall the operating system it will again take me hours to reinstall all this software. The question is, can I take an image of one of them that can then be used to restore all of them back to the current state with all apps loaded and the network settings setup?
If so, can anyone recommend any software to do this (cheap as possible - even better free), and explain how it might work?
Cheers

Diodorus Siculus 13:56 08 Feb 2007

If they are all the same and have the same hardware components, the Acronis True Image is as good as it gets. Version 10 costs about £25 from Amazon.

You can create an image onto external media, say external drive or DVD drive and use it in case of necessity.

Diodorus Siculus 13:57 08 Feb 2007

You can always test it by trying to restore the image to a different laptop.

sjl17 13:58 08 Feb 2007

That's great. What happens when I need to use the disks? Are they bootable and allow me format and then copy the image?

Diodorus Siculus 14:03 08 Feb 2007

click here for Acronis FAQ

sjl17 14:07 08 Feb 2007

Thanks all. I don't suppose you know of any free software that does a comparable job? The laptops are for a school and the software budget doesn't exist!

lenc 17:14 08 Feb 2007

Drive Image XML click here
xxcopy click here
Digital Dolly click here

Are all free and any of them may do the job for you

pj123 17:20 08 Feb 2007

sjl17, I use xxcopy and have not had any problems with it.

There is also xxclone from: click here

also free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?