Laptop automatically boots when plugged in

The Belarussian Mafia 14:15 04 Nov 2006

Bought a 2nd hand laptop a couple of years ago. For some reason it always boots up as soon as the electricity is switched on. (A real pain in the neck when you just want to switch a bedside lamp on last thing at night & you then have to wait nearly 5 mins for it to boot up & close!)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:16 04 Nov 2006

Have a look at your Power management settings.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:16 04 Nov 2006

Have a look at your Power management settings.

The Belarussian Mafia 21:28 04 Nov 2006

Hi Fruit Bat. Couldn't find anything under Control Panel Power Options. In the bios I could only see "enable/disable quickboot" option, but diabling this is presumably not what I'm looking for.

(Windows 2000 on a CompaqArmada M300 laptop.)

woodchip 21:42 04 Nov 2006

May be in the BIOS settings. Things like a modem etc can be set to start the computer. They all need to be disabled. Look for APM in the BIOS may be under Power Managment

Ashrich 23:34 04 Nov 2006

If the battery is knackered it will boot up on switching on as if it is returning to the state it was in before a power cut , this might be able to be switched off in the bios , although Laptop bios's are not known for being too configurable . Maybe time for a new battery ....

Ashley

The Belarussian Mafia 01:14 05 Nov 2006

Hmmm... replaced the battery about 6 months ago. Come to think of it, the laptop has always acted this way, so it must be the configuration. I'll have another poke around the bios, but the available options a r e very few, as you suggest.

Ashrich 09:30 05 Nov 2006

Have a look to see if there are any bios updates available for your laptop , it might fix the problem .

Ashley

The Belarussian Mafia 20:51 05 Nov 2006

Thanks. Good idea, although updating the bios is a pretty risky business!

Ashrich 21:00 05 Nov 2006

True , it is risky , have a look to see if any updates are available and see what they are curing before loading anything .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone