Laptop Advice

steviegee 08:25 02 Sep 2010

I know this has been asked plenty of times but laptops are changing all the time. I have a budget of £450 and need a laptop. I do a lot of encoding and burning, surfing and downloading but not gaming. Can anyone recommend a good laptop within this price range that will meet my requirements. Thanks.

MAJ 09:45 02 Sep 2010

"I do a lot of encoding and burning, surfing and downloading but not gaming."

Surfing and downloading doesn't take a lot of processing power or memory but encoding does (if you want it not to be a long drawn out chore). So look for the best processor you can get with your budget, probably an Intel i5 or if possible an Intel i7. Also go for a 64-bit OS to allow you to use more memory than the 4GB a 32-bit OS is limited to. With all that video work, a large Hard drive capacity would be useful or get yourself a large external drive at the same time. If you have a large flat-screen TV look for outputs that will allow you to connect your laptop to your TV to view your finished projects in detail.

steviegee 09:53 02 Sep 2010

I know surfing and downloading doesn't use a lot of resource but I just wanted to let you know what i would use the laptop mostly for. Have you any links for suitable laptops?

A couple of further things I would like is a 17" screen, bluetooth.

If I can purchase without a OS on it that would be better as I would save on cost as I have a OS I can use.

steviegee 09:54 02 Sep 2010

Also a large hard drive is not essential as I have an external.

MAJ 10:40 02 Sep 2010

I don't think you're going to get what you're looking for at that budget, steviegee, you'll have to compromise I think, maybe something like this click here. Bluetooth is easy, just buy a bluetooth dongle click here

MAJ 11:09 02 Sep 2010

A few more here near your budget. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?