Laptop advice

sawdox 13:49 02 Dec 2008

I'm looking to buy a new laptop and I'm torn between these 2 so far.
click here

and

click here=

Can anyone tell me the main difference - is it the processing speed? Will this make much difference?
Or do you know of any similar ones for roughly same price which are better value?
Any advice is appreciated cos I'm a complete novice!
thanks

cream. 14:02 02 Dec 2008

The acer with 4Gb of memory but just running basic !!

the advent runs home premium but just has 2Gb!!

If you want a basic operating system get the acer, though my last one the hinges broke :-(

The advent has the better operating system but is lower on memory and but better hard drive space.

sawdox 14:11 02 Dec 2008

thanks cream. I reckon I'm still confused tho!!
The laptop I have now takes about 10mins to boot up and runs out of battery in an hour!
I use it for general office work,surfing, but also watching iplayer and dvds and playing games. Does that info influence your advice?
thanks

Rahere 14:20 02 Dec 2008

add memory to the advent could that be the solution?

sawdox 14:54 02 Dec 2008

How does this one compare then?

click here

thanks

Rahere 15:06 02 Dec 2008

Yes there's a very wide choice of laptops out there - This is the best way I know of making sure you get something you like and will enjoy using:

First decide what you intend to use the pc for, then try out a few laptops in a shop like PC world where you can assess the keyboard layout, screen quality and relative speeds of operation - then check/note the spec - ram, disc size, number of USB sockets, graphics.

sawdox 15:09 02 Dec 2008

thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Best Free Video Tutorials for Drawing and Painting

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie