laptop

jaygice 16:35 05 Jul 2003

hi i have a second hand laptop a toshiba 8000 is there any pos of connecting a tower with dvd and cd-rw drives to it or is it better to just get a new desktop cheers

y_not 16:42 05 Jul 2003

Fit a network card into the tower (cast about a tenner) and buy a "Cross-over" cable.

Install the network card drivers and the two should be able to see each other - not sure about writing over the network cable - I'd drag'n'drop the files to be written.

jaygice 17:00 05 Jul 2003

not sure i know what u mean y_not i have not got a tower yet but going to get one next week any help would be great

Magik ®© 17:16 05 Jul 2003

you could always get a seperate dvd/cd writer, be a lot cheaper

jaygice 21:49 05 Jul 2003

i have a cd writer already i also have a printer and a dsl modem all usb i was thinking of getting a seperate dvd drive the prob with this how can i connect all this to my laptop i did have a usb hub 7 port with stand alone power but my laptop keeps crashing due to the modem taking to much power advise please if this could be sorted out i will just buy a external dvd

Qmar 00:29 06 Jul 2003

..use a hub with power supply built in.

Magik ®© 09:29 06 Jul 2003

are we saying that with just the modem connected to the laptop it keeps crashing? if that is not the case, then as stated above get a powered USB hub, i have two belkin powered hubs nailed togteher giving 8 outlets, and it works well,

jaygice 10:37 06 Jul 2003

no with the modem just connected it is fine if i connect something else as well it just crashes the modem and i have to unplug it what are these hubs with built in power are thay any good and where from or any other ideas wellcome

Magik ®© 11:24 06 Jul 2003

you can not really get any better than Belkin,as from where, maplins, PC w**** :-(, or over the net. I have plugged into my two, two scanners, printer, zip drive,adsl modem, usb network adapter,webcam, digital camera uploader, mouse.

jaygice 22:35 06 Jul 2003

right thay sound good magik what are thay called properly and whats the sort of price i should be paying cheers mate

jaygice 12:17 10 Jul 2003

can anyone else tell me what sort of price

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone