laptop

YAMA 23:29 29 Oct 2009

another question, if the room can help. just been given a toshiba satellite pro 4600, but it is so slow, it has win xp pro, i have done a defrag, cleaned out the load of internet files, so it has had a good clean out, but why it keeps hanging,on start up, just so slow you thinks its froze, so please what do i do, by the way i have ordered a new battery, as it do.s not seem to hold the juce, is tithat xp is to powerfull. and i need to install win98se. thanks yama

woodchip 23:48 29 Oct 2009

It sounds like Programs that are starting at boot that do not need to

Have look in this. Type in the Run Box

MSCONFIG press enter, go to Startup Tab have a look at the Programs that have a tick in the box. Write down what your not sure about and check it in Google to see what it does, and if you can remove the tick. If you remove any ticks from boxes write down what you remove, do not do too many at one reboot if it boots okay put a tick in the box that pops up before closing it. If you cannot boot after removing ticks, start in Safe Mode by tapping F5 as its booting and put the ticks back that are stopping it booting.

You could also use CleanUp to remove junk from your Drive. i have used this on all my computers for years without problems click here

YAMA 00:02 30 Oct 2009

thanks agin for this info woodchip will have a go on it tomorrow,after giving the battery a good charge, yama

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?