lap top tv card cannot get channel 5

tcmmwoody 10:14 17 Nov 2006

My daughter has bought a laptop to use at university with it we also purchased a tv card and to get it to work properly also had to buy booster with leads. Now she can receive most free digital channels but not 5. I know this doesn't sound a great problem and it is'nt but she would like to receive this as good films. Has anyone got any ideas as to why she can receive all the others but not channel 5?
Thanks in advance for any help.

sean-278262 10:20 17 Nov 2006

As far as I was aware Channel 5 doesnt broadcast on digital/freeview. However I had trouble getting mine to even get more than just static and a picture so gave up promptly and got a decent TV.

Stuartli 10:24 17 Nov 2006

Channel 5 is available on Freeview and, in fact, if the signal is reasonable you should get a better quality picture than with analogue transmissions.

I'm only about 15 miles from Winter Hill but Channel 5 analogue transmission TV displays are not as good as BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Channel 4, yet via my PCI Freeview TV card and computer monitor the picture is excellent...:-)

dms05 12:03 17 Nov 2006

Five and Five US are available on MUX A. Take a look at click here which gives the Multiplex line up for the UK (note Wales differs as it has S4C rather than C4). Can you receive the other channels on MUX A?

ITV uses QAM 64 rather than QAM 16 compression and QAM 64 needs a better signal for reliable viewing.

Best results are always obtained with an outdoor antenna. The tiny ones supplied with many USB devices are only suitable for very high signal strength areas.

In the UK we are about 45 miles from Winter Hill (West Wirral) and receive all Freeview channels without a problem.

Stuartli 12:12 17 Nov 2006

Not everyone...:-)

Stuartli 12:14 17 Nov 2006

I found that too strong a signal on ITV1 and related channels with my Freeview PCI TV card caused all sorts of display and audio problems - reducing the boost provided by the aerial amplifier cured them without affecting other TV and radio channels (exactly the opposite of what I expected!).

g0slp 14:39 17 Nov 2006

That suprises many folk; too much signal can be just as bad as too little - overloading amplifiers & other circuitry within the receiver, causing distortion of both audio & display - as you found out!

One thing I've found is how much duplication of stations can occur. My own Freeview dongle which I use with my laptop has 4 or 5 channels for some stations, but most are weak & someimes unuseable. Looking through all the available channels might give you an alternative for what you're looking for. Where I am, for example, receiving signals from Pontop Pike, I have several channels reporting that they are carrying Channel 5 in all its guises (US etc as well as the same one transmitted on the analogue system), also BBC THREE & Film4 to name a couple more.

Just because a station appears high on the list after scanning during setup doesn't mean that it's the most appropriate one to use.

Stuartli 15:02 17 Nov 2006

It was my TV card that was affected, not my Pioneer set top box, and it didn't occur until quite recently after it had been impossible for a while to watch these ITV related stations.

I've mentioned before about the duplication of some of the channels on a PC TV card's scan for stations - I always delete the highest of the channel numbers in each case.

You will also often find that, unlike a set top box, stations that use one Freeview channel during the day (such as BBC3 and 4 and the BBC children's channels or UKBrightIdeas and FTN) work with both listings on a TV card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone