lap-top shows connected to mains but is not

end 11:39 11 Sep 2004

a mystery , probably easily solved by the A team;
my lap-top has a power cable (yes it does!!); normally running on batteries, then charge when necessary.

odddly, when the power cable is plugged in but switched OFF, the lappy still "tells " me that the thing IS "connected" to the mains, and does not show the battery symbol, so I have little idea of the battery "status" until I get my warning tones.
is it a "quirk" of lap tops that the power cable must not even be in the socket if I want to see the battery?

does that make sense:)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:56 11 Sep 2004

You don't say what laptop.

Some laptops recognize the mains cable by detecting current / voltage to charge battery, others have a tiny switch in the mains socket activated when the cable is plugeged in.

Yours sounds like one of the latter type.

end 12:13 11 Sep 2004

del latitude CPt (sorry!! didnt realise the model would be important..should know better:( )

at least that is what it says on the lid:)

end 12:33 11 Sep 2004

I have removed the cable from the back of the lappy but it is still showing AS connected....do I have to reboot or what?

end 13:33 11 Sep 2004

the lap-top has still not "kicked in" with the fact that I am on battery and not mains. the cable is out of the back of the thing but the machine is still "recognizing" it as being IN; it works in reverse when I attach the cable, but not , seemingly , this way; do I have to reboot or what?

end 18:53 11 Sep 2004

I have now switched the thing on again after a break from it, and with the power cable OUT of the thing, it is showing AS "running on battery" ; so...begs the question as to HOW this machine "works" with the power lead; naturally, when I do attach the lead with the thing running, then it changes to show the lead attached, but does not seem to happen the reverse way;

any "clues" from the floor as I am mystified; have I to change some setting on it somewhere or....:)

and, yes, the "low battery " alarm has been programed to sound as has the critical battery alarm..

wee eddie 22:41 11 Sep 2004

Wizz down to the Patent Office as fast as you can.

Much cheaper than "Cold Fusion" as well!

VoG II 22:46 11 Sep 2004

ROFLMAO!

end 22:55 11 Sep 2004

the question still remains without an answer;

and my "family " name is so powerful that the Patent office would wonder just what had hit it with the speed of delivery:)

VoG II 23:05 11 Sep 2004

my "family " name is so powerful

Is "Dell"?

end 23:19 11 Sep 2004

at the risk of offending "the powers that be"..FAR more powerful::))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?