Lap top or Home pc

Koochy 01:08 02 Mar 2006

I currently own an Evesham voyager laptop that is 14 month old and use this as a home pc Spec AMD Athlon 64 3700+ cpu, 1GB Ram, 80GB hd, Mobility radeon 9700 128MB graphics card, 17" widescreen flat panel, built in web cam, 3 x usb 2 ports, 1 1394 fire wire port, wifi and infrared trans/receive, Sony combo drive +/- dl burner, 4 in 1 card reader, Pcmcia slot, 5.1 sound speakers built in to laptop

A friend has offered me 500 quid for it as i am looking at buying a home pc but i am unsure what to do as i think the price he has offered is a bit low or am i just being greedy any advice on what this laptop is worth would be a great help as i don't want to loose out but i don't want to rip off a mate. I am not looking to sell it on this site i am just looking for some help as to pricing.

Thanks in advance

Koochy

AndySD 03:36 02 Mar 2006

click here and keep an eye on this. Its still got 3 days to go and is already at £600

wolfie3000 05:10 02 Mar 2006

My advice is to get a desktop for these reasons

1 if something breaks on a laptop its harder to fix.

2 with a desktop you get more for your money.

3 replacing bits in a desktop is far easier (upgrading).

Hope this helps.

Koochy 11:27 02 Mar 2006

Thanks for the advice guys i think it will be a desk top then but i think it will have to be one that has been built for me as i'm not too confident on the build your own scene but i suppose it could be something to look into maybe give it a go.

Gongoozler 11:47 02 Mar 2006

If you are buying a computer, let us know what you want to use it for, and what you are thinking of buying, then you will get plenty of advice regarding suitability. A major consideration that is often overlooked is whether you will be thinking of adding new parts in the future. Some computers are very difficult to upgrade.

terryf 11:47 02 Mar 2006

I always recommend going to a local PC shop, tell them what you want to do on the PC and ask for a quote, may be more expensive than mass produced but you will be able to take it back if there are problems. I find that ergonomically a mouse is easier to use than a touchpad. If you get a TFT screen and 'wireless' kbd and mouse it will take up no more room on your desk than a laptop, especially if you can put the main case on the floor

Koochy 18:02 02 Mar 2006

Thanks Gongoozler i mainly use my lap top at the minute for web surfing and digital image editing but i quite fancy getting into video capture and vidieo editing. At the moment i have a 19" LCD flat panel monitor still in the box unused so i don't need one of those and i have printer, wireless key board and mouse External cd/dvd+/- dl burner so i think it would only be a main unit i need on a budget of around 850 to 900 quid. One of the most important things to mention is i hate having to wait for anything to happen on the computer so a fast cpu and lots of ram are required i think.

Koochy 18:04 02 Mar 2006

Sorry forgot to say yes i would like to be able to upgrade everything as time and technology marches on but i would still like a nice quick machine to start with.

Gongoozler 19:19 02 Mar 2006

For the money you are intending to spend for just a base unit you should be able to get something really good. You probably already know that the digital image editing, video capture and video editing will define the specification you need. The main requirements will be the largest hard drive and the maximum amount of memory you can get within your budget. The graphics card requirement is fairly moderate, and any modern processor will be plenty fast enough.

FatboySlim71 22:24 02 Mar 2006

Why not get your desktop PC from Evesham, I personally own an Evesham desktop PC and there very very good, very very stable and are excellent A1 quality.

I know a hell of a lot of people with Evesham PC's, and they all say the same as me ie, there very very good, very very stable and are excellent A1 quality, they also say that if they were to buy another PC, that it would be another Evesham. All I can say about getting a local computer shop to build one is that I once got a PC built from a local computer shop, and to be honest I felt that after a while, for what I had paid (and it was £750) the quality and spec of the PC did not justify this price tag, but other local computer shops could be different.

If you are to go to the likes of Evesham for a PC you will be more than likely getting a better, higher spec PC for your money than you would by going to a local computer shop, thats what my experiance has taught me.

Koochy 00:48 03 Mar 2006

I am using an evesham laptop at the moment and i must agree what you get for your money is fantastic and also a very reliable and stable computer. I suppose thats another avenue to have a look down thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?