Lap top locks up.

The Kestrel 11:01 30 Dec 2009

Mt son's Toshiba laptop has started locking up after the welcome screen (Vista Home Premium OS)and before all the start up programs have loaded. The only way to restart is to hold down the power button until the system shuts down. The cycle then repeats itself on starting up again.

He was having trouble with AVG 9 Free and we thought we had uninstalled it, with difficulty, using Revo-uninstall and replaced it with Microsoft security essentials. I did notice however the AVG icon is still appearing on the task bar at the bottom right during loading. Could it be a conflict between the two anti-virus programs causing the lock up and if so how can I remove AVG before the laptop locks up?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:16 30 Dec 2009

Boot to safe mode
Reinstall AVG and uninstall using AVG uninstall link

click here

The Kestrel 14:24 30 Dec 2009

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\. I have uninstalled AVG in safe mode, but this does not seem to cure the problem. I am now suspecting Microsoft Sevurity Essentials as this is the only program that was installed to replace AVG. I'm going to try and remove MSE and then see if lock up disappears and then install an alternative anti-virus program.

The Kestrel 15:06 30 Dec 2009

Hi Jock1e, I have already done that but only works when in safe mode. When I go back in system restore I'm back to the point where AVG was causing problems so I'm now uninstalling AVG and going to replace AVG with another anti-virus.

The Kestrel 18:33 31 Dec 2009

OK, problem solved. I was very surprised when the program causing the conflict was Microsoft Security Essentials. Once I had removed this and replaced it with Avast ant-virus, everything is now running smoothly. You wouldn't expect one Microsoft program to conflict with another.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?