Lap top hangs from sleep mode help

golfpro 13:49 25 Apr 2008

I have a laptop running Vista premium which I have set to sleep mode when I shut the lid, but when I boot up and go into a web site (this one for instance) it always hangs up (nothing works mouse etc etc). From a normal shut down everything is OK. Can anyone help with this. I downloaded SP1 yesterday but this was happening before.

Ditch999 14:24 25 Apr 2008

The key word you used is "mouse". This problem is usually caused by hardware issues, especially keyboard/mouse. Go to your Mouse Properties, either through Control Panel or Device Manager, and look for the Power Management tab and take the tick out of "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" or similar. This means you will have to use the keyboard to waken your laptop.
If it doesn't work do the reverse to put it back the way it was.
You will probably need to do a restart for it to take effect.

Stuartli 15:06 25 Apr 2008

You will better using Hibernate, which Saves all your settings before shutting down - Standby doesn't and, if you have a problem, you could/will lose unsaved data.

Stuartli 15:08 25 Apr 2008

Check out the power features configuration via Power Options in Control Panel (at least this is the case with XP).

anskyber 15:13 25 Apr 2008

There is something in what Stuartli has said although Vista has a range of options including hybrid (a bit of sleep with hibernate) explained here. click here

woodchip 15:39 25 Apr 2008

As Stuartli's post use Hibernate

Stuartli 16:12 25 Apr 2008

By the way, you should do a proper Shutdown, probably at least once a day, rather than use Hibernate (or Standby) permanently.

golfpro 07:09 26 Apr 2008

Stuartli wrote:
You will better using Hibernate, which Saves all your settings before shutting down - Standby doesn't and, if you have a problem, you could/will lose unsaved data.
Re my post I mixed up sleep with hibernate. I have decided to do a Shutdown now, after all I don't use the lap top every day. It just puzzled me that's all why it did this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?