Lap top getting online not using Broadband

night 14:47 20 Aug 2008

Have a new Lap top and wish to use the Internet but not using broadband how does one find the net work using just dial up ? at present using Bt for phone, till end of contract.

Technotiger 15:07 20 Aug 2008

If you are using the laptop to put this question, then you are already on the Internet.

Or, if you already have a dial-up connection, just open Internet Explorer.

night 16:02 20 Aug 2008

Many thanks Technotiger, I am on Broadband and the lapp top belongs to a friend who needs to get online only not using Broadband hope you understand, but thanks for your reply .

Technotiger 16:13 20 Aug 2008

I have just noticed you have another thread running on this same subject - please mark this thread as Resolved with the Green tick, and then stick to your original thread until resolved.

Diemmess 18:04 20 Aug 2008

Your friend with his laptop is doing himself no favours by insisting on staying with dial-up.

I may be wrong but have this feeling that modest BBand without frills can cost less than persisting with dial-up.

It may depend on what age and facility the laptop has.
For instance a newish one will already have LAN connections, but no dial-up modem any more, in which case there is no reason to revert to the technology of a decade ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?