lap-top cannot defrag in safe mode

p;3 06:08 23 Mar 2006

I was of the imnpression that, in safe mode, a machine should have no problems operating? my somewhat limited Del laptop is refusing to defrag in safe mode; the program itself will not open or run from either the main menue nor the shortcut on the desk top ; scan disc will run as will other programs and I can run defrag up to a point in normal mode; is this something I should be concerned about ; this laptop is really used now for "trying out" different things more than using for intensive main computer work; my intrigue is its non ability to even open the program while in safe mode; when I click on the program the egg-timer appears,...and that is all ;it just thinks, and thinks and thinks; I am not too worried, but wonder if anyone has any ideas about this?

bof:) 11:44 17 May 2006

Hi p:3 I'm just checking through my postings. Did you manage to get defrag working ?

Mike

bof:) 11:45 17 May 2006

also if you have win98se did you try the SFC option if you could?

bof:) 11:46 17 May 2006

Hi p:3 I'm just checking through my postings. Did you manage to get defrag working ?

Mike

p;3 17:27 17 May 2006

thanks for enquiring; oddly enough; I was playing with this only the other day; I will retry again just to be sure it was not a fluke; BUT; strangely, when I put the external floppy drive on to it the lappy then WOULD defrag in safe mode;why ,I have no idea; if this is the solution it will be a very strange one;

WhiteTruckMan 21:25 17 May 2006

Are you booting from the external floppy?

WTM

p;3 23:05 17 May 2006

not that I am aware of; however, as the defrag looks for the floppy drive in the defrag sequence, might be logical that if the floppy is not attached to the machine, the program cannot run; a bit puzzling really; I have yet to retry it, but found it quite strange that it did run with the floppy drive attached;maybe it will refuse to do so next time I try it:(

bof:) 15:21 19 May 2006

Hi p;3 does the defrag give you an option of which drive to defrag before you run it?

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?