Landline Problem

JRLH 18:41 12 Dec 2007

Hello. I seem to have a problem with my landline that i cannot figure out. My phone will not disconnect when i put it down, e.g if i ring someone and their answer phone comes on, and i do not wish to leave a message, i put the reciever down, pick it up again and their answering phone will still be on the other end. I live in a new house and the main bt socket is one of those which is split in two. I have taken the bottom half off, and when i do this, the phone disconnects, this is the only way to disconnect a call. This obviously isnt right. I have tried various phones, wired and wireless ones, I have taken all of the other phones around the house out, and just used the main socket, I have taken all of the other phones around the house out and used an extension socket, but still the same problem persists.. any ideas?

Thanks

johnnyrocker 18:53 12 Dec 2007

ring bt

johnny

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:54 12 Dec 2007

Get BT in to fix it you should mess with the master socket yourself.

should be wired like click here

Fingees 18:54 12 Dec 2007

It's surely down to bt to fix the problem if it's on the master socket.
I would contact them quick, in case you get charged for the time you remain connected

JRLH 18:57 12 Dec 2007

I've rung bt, I explained what was going on with the line, and they did a line test, which came back as ok. They said everything was fixed. However it is not fixed, I have rung them again and they did another line check. I tried to explain exactely what was wrong with it, but i dont think they understood...

Graham. 19:24 12 Dec 2007

Take the bottom half off and plug a phone into the socket inside. This will disconnect all extension wiring and connect you directly to the line. It's OK to use a plug-in extension lead.

If the problem is still there, it's BT's pigeon. If OK, there is a fault on the extension wiring or sockets.

jolorna 21:43 12 Dec 2007

is it only that answer pnone or is it every call, because if the other end doesn't hang up it can hold your line open, i find this a lot with call centres

JRLH 00:36 13 Dec 2007

Its not just that answer phone, its every call... so i guess its costing a bit if i dont disconnect properly

Graham. 09:42 13 Dec 2007

Not strictly true. The called party cannot hold your line, with the exception of BT operator calls. Call centres cannot.

johnnyrocker 09:52 13 Dec 2007

bt has an automatic line clear after 15 mins max.

johnny.

jolorna 14:52 13 Dec 2007

you had better tell that to what few call centres
we have ring us up because when i say not intrested goodby and put the phone down next time i pick it up again they are still there and with them not showing a number you cannot report them for the practice, so its just as well like johnnyrocker says otherwise we are stumped

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?