LAN versus Network cable

geoff47 20:08 19 Feb 2008

I have another problem.
I have been given a PC to "Sort out"
It is running win 98 and full of rubbish, so I reformatted it using a boot floppy and the System disk.
Everything went well.
Then with my limited knowledge, and with a spare ethernet card and driver disk available, I decided to install it.
Rather than install it and leave well alone, I decided to take out what I thought was another network card, it had a LAN type connection, square, like the connection I had from my NTL modem into the old PC.
To cut a long story short......There is now no signal getting to the monitor, even when the card is replaced.
Have I mucked up the PC ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:48 19 Feb 2008

DId you switch off before removal?

switch off remove and refit the graphics card you may have disturbed it.

interzone55 20:53 19 Feb 2008

Sounds like you've removed the modem.

I've seen this happen before and it's a real head scratcher, put the modem back in and reseat the graphics card & things should be fine. But as to why removing the modem should unsettle Win98 so much, it's a mystery.

geoff47 21:01 19 Feb 2008

Did I switch off the PC ?
Yes, and unplugged it.
Im not that silly....

I thought perhaps it was a Graphics, or Video card, but with my limited knowledge that doesn't make sense, it was connected to a PCI slot.

The only other thing is I may have not earthed myself by grasping the main frame before starting work, could that have this sort of affect ?

geoff47 21:08 19 Feb 2008

I didn't touch the graphics card, I think.
I have returned the Card to its place, and checked any loose connections.So all is as I found it.
I believe windows is running, it just is not visible on the monitor

geoff47 21:15 19 Feb 2008

I dont know what I just did, but pressing a few bits and pieces inside has sorted it all out.
I called it a few choice words last night....maybe it listened.

MAJ 21:15 19 Feb 2008

If you disconnected the monitor from the tower while you were inside the case, make sure you have plugged the monitor back into the correct connection, sometimes you'll find both a graphics card and an on-board graphics chip on the one tower.

woodchip 21:45 19 Feb 2008

You may have disturbed something, check all card memory and cable plugs are fully on

Stuartli 10:24 20 Feb 2008

geoff47 has stated that it is "all sorted out"...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?