LAN shortcuts stopped working

griffo 14:33 30 Aug 2006

I'm having a day of it today! A shortcut from my desktop to my laptop on my home LAN has stopped working. I'm getting the following error message:
"The drive or network conection that the shortcut xxxx refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is propserly inserted or the network resource is available and then try again."

I went into explorer, My Network Places, and clicked on the folder in question and it says it's not available, you might not have permission etc etc. then says, Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

Anyone know what all that means please?

mgmcc 16:24 30 Aug 2006

<<< Not enough server storage is available to process this command. >>>

"Not enough server storage is available to process this command".

"Not enough memory to complete transaction. Close some applications and retry".

These error messages can indicate an incorrect IRPStackSize on the remote computer (the one you are trying to access over the network). In the remote computer, open the event log and check for event ID 2011. If this is present, it may indicate this particular issue. To repair it, you need to set the IRPStackSize parameter in the registry back to its default value of 15.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters

Check for the presence of a value named IRPStackSize. If it doesn't exist, create it as type DWORD and, with base set to decimal, enter the value 15. Exit from the registry and reboot the computer.

Some AntiVirus programs are guilty of altering this setting and causing the problem.

Also have a look at this Microsoft Knowledge Base article which applies to XP too:

Antivirus Software May Cause Event ID 2011 (Q177078)
click here

griffo 12:42 02 Sep 2006

Many thanks for that. I had to create the IRPStackSize (on both PC's actually) and increase it to 25 before it worked. It's still slow but is working.

I suspect that installing Norton Ghost on the Laptop (the target PC in this case) is responsible for the problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017