Lan problem /local connection- internet problem

753Df 19:16 31 Jan 2009

I can not connect to the internet, I was told that I need a local or lan connectioon icon when I go to network connections in the control panel. This computer had thr hard drive formatted. I have a Dell dimisions 8300. How can I get this adaptor to load. Someome said try Bios via Bios, what is this and how do I get to it.

Eric10 20:29 31 Jan 2009

Assuming that you have installed Win XP after the reformat, you may need a driver for the network card. Check in Device Manager to see if it has a problem (yellow exclamation mark).
If it has a problem then click here for Dell Dimension 8300 drivers.

753Df 09:07 03 Feb 2009

Looked at the drivers but which one do I load on which sub area do I go to eg Communications, Networks etc, sorry am a complete novice as far as computers are concerned. Would really appreciate an idiot proof guide.

753Df 09:11 03 Feb 2009

I am thinking of buying a base unit, the kids use the computer for homework and obviously the Internet. Any idea what make and specifications I should go for and the price range is fron £200-£500.Any idea where from?

Eric10 21:15 03 Feb 2009

Since you are wanting network drivers, expand the Network section by clicking the + sign in front of it.
Of all the downloads listed only two are drivers so it's a choice between Broadcom and Intel with Broadcom being the favourite so I would suggest you download "Broadcom - Driver" (second in the list). This will download a self-extracting zip file called R56237.EXE which is 5.66MB in size. Make a note of where the file is saved then navigate to it. If you have had to download on a different PC then copy it to a flash drive or CD and put this into the required computer then double-click it. This will create a folder at C:\dell\drivers\R56237 and extract several files into it. The setup program will start automatically and install the drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?