lan port

albar 12:03 19 May 2003

i have just purchased broadband but unfortunately
can not use it at the moment.i have a ethernet
modem but when i go into control panel network
connections the lan or high speed internet local area connection says the cable is unplugged.
how do i get this so it is connected.

vinnyo123 22:26 19 May 2003

Is your cat 5 (cable) connected to your WAN on modem then to Your NIC (network interface card ) on the back of your PC.If it is your probably gonna have to make a new connection using MS wizard.Assuming your using MS????

jazzypop 22:36 19 May 2003

If you look at the back of your PC, the network card usually has a small green light next to the RJ45 socket where the Ethernet cable plugs in.

When the connection is made, this lights up. If it is not lit, there are three common causes -

1. The connector is not fully pushed home. You should hear a definite click as the plug enters the socket, caused by the small tab that protrudes from plug at 30 degrees or so clicking into place. It is also possible for the moulding between the cable and the plug (the strain relief boot) to foul on the PC casing, preventing the plug from fully engaging in the socket.

2. The cable is faulty. This can be a break in a wire, or a poorly made connection where the cable enters the plug.

3. The cable is wrongly wired. An ethernet cable can be wired as 'straight-through' (the coloured wires are in the same order at both ends), or 'crossover' (the orange and green pairs are swapped over). Usually, a straight-through cable is needed between an ADSL modem and a PC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone