lan and network card

louorbill 16:51 01 Apr 2006

Running windows xp home edition sp2
i have a wanadoo wireless and talk live box connected to my main computer via lan this works perfectly. however the wireless adaptor on my second computer is very intermitant
i was wondering whether i could add a network pci card to connect my 2 computers together with out interfering with the internet connection on my main computer

Danoh 08:09 02 Apr 2006

If you mean you wish to connect your 2nd PC via a cable and stop trying to connect wirelessly any more, then yes.

mgmcc 08:55 02 Apr 2006

If you are going to connect the two computers directly, without interfering with the existing cabled connection to the router, you need to install a *second* network adapter in the PC that connects to the router, a network adapter in the second PC and link them with a "crossover" network cable. If you need internet access in the second PC, you would have to enable Internet Connection Sharing on the first PC's actual connection to the router.

This setup wouldn't make much sense because a router should provide the internet access for all networked computers. You would probably be better plugging a network switch in to the router to provide additional LAN ports.

louorbill 12:01 02 Apr 2006

my problem has arisen due to an intermittant wirelss connection and also the need to share files on both computers
thanks for your answers i will go and experiment

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone