Lan/ Ethernet ?

  Grandad D 21:46 17 Mar 2003

Hi, My new motherboard has Lan built in. My old computer has an Ethernet card. Are these the same thing, If so do I just need a cable to connect them or do I need extra hardware? Thanks, Dennis

  friedegg 21:55 17 Mar 2003

Yep, Basically the same thing. Go get that cable!

  Pilch.... 21:57 17 Mar 2003

LAN is a general type of network connection

Ethernet is a type of connection for LAN.

All you need is a crossover cable with RJ-45 connections and then you can connect them.

What Operating System do you have and we can help you network them

  hugh-322546 22:02 17 Mar 2003

Yes, to both questions. You need a 'cat 5 cross-over' cable to connect to the 2 network cards. It comes in different made up lengths and you can get it at PC World, Maplins etc.(even B & Q, I was told in PC who were OS.If you have Windows XP, it's straighforward, using the wizard to make a floppy to set up any non xp system. I've proved any novice can do it!

  Grandad D 22:12 17 Mar 2003

Hi, The new one is XP pro. The old one is Win ME but I may install Win 98 on this instead. Ta, Dennis

  The PC Doctor 22:21 17 Mar 2003

Just a quick note here Grandad D I've recently moved from Win98se to Windows 2000.

I found that the Win2000 PC's could see the Win98se PC's but not the other way round due to the different protocols.

You may have to Map A Network Drive from the Win98 PC to see the XP PC.

  Grandad D 22:22 17 Mar 2003

Hi, Will this do me? click here

  The PC Doctor 22:28 17 Mar 2003

No you need a cross over cable like this

click here

  The PC Doctor 22:34 17 Mar 2003

Sorry the link didn't Work....

Use the link and goto Computers > Network Cables and look for the Cross over Cables - that's the type you need.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?