LAN Connection - Limited or No Connectivity

hello2221 14:24 11 Feb 2006

Hi,

We have a Belkin 802.11g wireless network router that is connected to our main desktop pc and gives our laptops access to the internet. The last few days we have had a problem accessing the internet on the main pc. It says LAN connection 6 has limited or no connectivity and when I got in to repair this and renew the IP address it says it is unable to do so, please contact your network administrator. I have no idea what to do, can someone please help??
We are still able to access internet on the laptop's through the wireless network connection.

Thanks

mgmcc 15:39 11 Feb 2006

<<< It says LAN connection 6 has limited or no connectivity >>>

How many network adapters (Local Area Connections) are there? If you have only one and it numbered as "6", it would appear that Windows has been reinstalling the network adapter over and over again. Create a System Restore point, then go into Device Manager, uninstall the network adapter, reboot and let Windows "find new hardware" and install it. Then see if it gets its correct IP address from the router.

hello2221 15:42 11 Feb 2006

What do you mean create a system restore point? Sorry but I really do not know much technical stuff about computers! I am a bit scared to uninstall the network adapter in case everything goes down and we have no access at all!!

mgmcc 16:33 11 Feb 2006

<<< What do you mean create a system restore point? >>>

If you are using Windows XP, you need to be aware of "System Restore", which is extremely useful if things go wrong and you need to turn back the clock to before the problem arose.

As per this screenshot - click here

Go to "Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System restore" which will launch this window click here from which you can create a Restore Point and go back to previous Restore Points. Windows automatically creates Restore Points, usually once a day.

<<< I am a bit scared to uninstall the network adapter in case everything goes down and we have no access at all!! >>>

I thought this particular computer already had no access at all. I can only suggest what I think is an appropriate course of action. If you are worried about uninstalling the network adapter, then don't do so, but I'm not sure I know what else to suggest to get it to work. Equally, there is no guarantee that reinstalling the network adapter will resolve the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017