LAN card and ICQ

Yorkie 1 17:36 13 Feb 2006

I recently had a LAN card installed in my Desk top and a Netgear Router to connect things together. All is well except that I cannot now connect with a friend in Canada using ICQ chat. Offline messages go OK but on line chat no longer works. Have you come across this before and would it be connected to the router or the LAN card as I suspect.

Skyver 17:39 13 Feb 2006

You may need to configure your router to allow access to port 5190 - look for Services, or Port Forwarding in your router configuration. Check Connected Devices and note the IP address of your PC, then enable port 5190 for that IP address in the aforementioned page(s).

Skyver 17:40 13 Feb 2006

Netgear info click here
ICQ info
click here

Yorkie 1 12:13 01 Apr 2006

I posted this message on 13/3/06,
I recently had a LAN card installed in my Desk top and a Netgear Router to connect things together. All is well except that I cannot now connect with a friend in Canada using ICQ chat. Offline messages go OK but on line chat no longer works. Have you come across this before and would it be connected to the router or the LAN card as I suspect.
I have tried all the suggestions to no avail, I have also tried to contact ICQ help, but keep coming against a brick wall, any suggestions, I know you are a brainy lot out there and alwayswilling to help

ACOLYTE 12:25 01 Apr 2006

I may be missing something,but why do you need a LAN card connected to the router?do you have a shared conn,usually its the modem connected to the router,and router to phone line?.

Yorkie 1 12:35 01 Apr 2006

Hi Acolyte, thanks for the interest
I recently acquired a lap top and that was the reason for fitting the LAN card. the router was fitted as a wireless connection between the two, and it is since that time that the problem has arisen. I can connect to ICQ, I can use the off line message system, but connecting to the "Chat" system as I used to previously, I cannot do now.
I would add that I am 77 and not as clever with IT as some ofthe younger generations, but I am learning as I go. It was professionally set up and I have been back a couple of times when the professionals tried to get the chat connection, but maybe you know better than them. *S*

ACOLYTE 13:04 01 Apr 2006

I would not presume so much click here maybe this will help,if not maybe time to get the proffesionals back in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?