Is LAN card faulty?

bemuzed 20:09 01 Aug 2006

I have 2 PCs connected to a Safecom 4 port router then out to the internet. On one PC the port light on the front of the router sometimes flashes and I cannot get onto the internet or log onto the router. If I disconnect the PC from the mains the light goes off when PC is off then lights up constantly when I power the PC up again. I can then boot the PC and get onto the internet. If I just reboot the PC without powering off aat the mains I cannot get onto the internet. Is my LAN card faulty or configured wrong?

phono 20:17 01 Aug 2006

Have you loaded the latest drivers for the LAN card, probably nothing to do with it but is WOL (Wake On Lan) enabled in the BIOS?

Forum Editor 20:19 01 Aug 2006

Get a new LAN card - they're very cheap - and try it.

Forum Editor 20:23 01 Aug 2006

that there's nothing really to configure on a LAN card - they're very simple devices, and will work automatically, once they detect a LAN connection. Windows XP will take care of everything - just plug the card into the slot. It might be worth taking the existing card out of its slot and putting it back again, making sure that it sits firmly in the slot. Or you could try it in a spare slot, if there is one. You would be surprised at how often something as simple as that does the trick.

bemuzed 20:26 01 Aug 2006

Phono - it only just started doing this, so current drivers shuld be OK. I did check and they are up to date.

FE - I'm using Win ME. I'll try reseating the card.

bemuzed 20:36 01 Aug 2006

just seen the LAN port is integrated into the motherboard, so I guess not much I can do

ed-0 20:43 01 Aug 2006

Then try what the FE has suggested. You should be able to buy a LAN card in town for around £8, quite cheap.

Disable the on-board lan chip in the bios, power down. Insert new lan card, bootup, install drivers if needed.

then try.

john-232317 21:40 01 Aug 2006

I had a problem with an onboard one and just put a card in like FE says, works perfect.

DieSse 22:18 01 Aug 2006

Also try checking the LAN cables - you can swap over the ones on your two systems to do so.

You could also try reloading the LAN drivers (probably on the motherboard CD) - it's not unknown for them to become corrupted, and it's an easy, no cost, thing to try.

phono 02:10 02 Aug 2006

"You could also try reloading the LAN drivers (probably on the motherboard CD) - it's not unknown for them to become corrupted, and it's an easy, no cost, thing to try."

I suggested that and got a negative reply.

DieSse 13:40 02 Aug 2006

Yes - I saw - but I was trying to make the point that even working drivers can get "corrupted" - as it's a no-cost and fast thing to try, it's always worth doing, just in case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?