Laminator Hot or Cold,which is best?

premier man 10:13 07 Jan 2006

I am thinking of buying a Laminator for Photos and General household jobs up to A4 size.
not sure whether to go for Hot or Cold,
Can anyone enlighten me which is best to go for,your thoughts appreciated.
Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 11:24 07 Jan 2006

I've not heard of a cold one - the one I use does plastic hot but also has the option to do foil which is on a warm setting.

iarno 11:38 07 Jan 2006

Fellowes do one that has a hot and cold setting, A4 size. I only use the hot setting. ( no idea why).
I.

spuds 11:47 07 Jan 2006

Like iarno, I also have hot and cold laminator which as never had the cold side tested, perhaps this reminder is a good time to investigate!.

One word of advice, be selective on the sleeves, as these can work out expensive on the way that you purchase.

premier man 12:01 07 Jan 2006

Thanks Guys for your quick responses,
I was looking at the Leitz CS9E which is a cold seal using rolled sleeving,
thought this might be more econical!
but was wondering if it is better using Cold Seal?rather than Hot

premier man 12:03 07 Jan 2006

have anyone tried both for a comparision

jack 12:10 07 Jan 2006

I have a Leitz Cool Seal
Bought from Stationery box about 2 year ago.
Problem - Cold Seal pouches no longer available
Stationery Box dont stock 'em any more and Leitz said they no longer support this method, but residual stocks may be out there - somewhere
So if you have located where I'd be please to know.
Meanwhile Hot Laminator are as cheap as chips now.

wee eddie 12:19 07 Jan 2006

Horrendous!

However the cost per page drops hugely, if you start buying by the 100 or Ream.

premier man 12:23 07 Jan 2006

spuds
when you say be selective on the sleeves is there something I should avoid,or do you mean buy in bulk??

spuds 12:52 07 Jan 2006

Buy in bulk, if you can find a good supplier. You can get 'starter' packs and the like from Asda, WH Smith or small retail outlets, but pricewise they can make a big dent in the budget.Cheaper by the 100 or 1000+, depending on your requirements.

Another couple of words of advice. (1)Don't try using an ordinary poly type bag, others have tried this without success :o)(2)Check the sealing times,some models are slightly faster than others. Again speeds, would depend on your actual requirement and usage, and in the budget range of laminaters there will be very little difference.

Bingalau 12:58 07 Jan 2006

I've used a laminator I bought from Costco about three years ago and it can be varied in its' temperature settings (it's a REXEL) I have never tried it cold. I economise on laminator pouches by cutting small pieces off for smaller jobs if necessary. Make sure you have enough room to seal around the sides. Oh! yes, always use the supplied folder to pass the job through the machine . I tried a photo without it and the temperature must have been too hot and my photo was ruined. It was even to much of a mess to use Photoshop on to retrieve it. Bingalau..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?