'Lag' problem PLz Help!

Jayjam 09:44 25 Aug 2003

I have a problem with lag on my computer. If iam just doing nothing with my computer the cpu usage skips from about 4% to 55% for no reason then goes back down to about 10%. I have only 256mb of memory for a pc that runs win xp home edition. Is this the problem? This lag also affects me when i play games online. I have 512mb broadband that produces a great ping but i still get lag because of this cpu usage problem. Can someone please help me beacuse i have no idea whats going wrong!

Help!

Cheers,
The JacKaL

geezer13 09:47 25 Aug 2003

I would suggest having a close look at what processes are occouring in task manager. It may be that you have a virus or some applications are continuously running in the backround.

You could also update your drivers at click here as it could be a gfx card issue.

DieSse 09:49 25 Aug 2003

The CPU useage going up and down is nothing in itself - Windows has lots of things it goes off and does on it's own, from time to time.

So what exactly is the lag problem? - you mean it's slow to do some things? - all things? - how slow and what exactly?

DieSse 09:50 25 Aug 2003

It always pays to run a Disk Cleanup from time to time, as your system becomes clogged up with temporary files.

jazzypop 09:54 25 Aug 2003

Similar to geezer13's suggestion - press ctrl-alt-del to bring up the Task Manager, click the Processes tab, then click the word 'CPU'. This will sort the processes by CPU usage, highest first (if a process with '0' is listed at the top of the list, click the CPU header again to re-sort the list).

Ignore the System Idle Process - this will be running a series of background tasks only when no other process is running, and will properly show 90%+ CPU usage.

You will need to observe the Task Manager for a while, and make a note of which processes use unusually high amounts of CPU time.

Jayjam 09:54 25 Aug 2003

Well when i move the mouse every now and then it will freeze for a second then carry on normally. When i play games i get a frame rate of about 55-60 but when it lags the frame rates go as low as 6 frames per second!

Jayjam 10:00 25 Aug 2003

I have found a program called GMT.exe it is using up 10,000K. Is that unusual

geezer13 10:03 25 Aug 2003

Do you get the same frame rate problem whilst playing "offline"? As this problem could well be a connection or server issue?

DieSse 10:22 25 Aug 2003

GMT is a component oart of Gator - which is generally classed as spyware - and on-line slow downs could be caused by spyware " talking to home"

Download and run Adaware click here and/or Spybot click here - these will clean this and other spyware off the system

Jayjam 11:57 25 Aug 2003

Do you get the same frame rate problem whilst playing "offline"? As this problem could well be a connection or server issue?

Yes geezer i have the same problem playing single player (offline). What do you think is up?

WaiKent 11:59 25 Aug 2003

512MB wow, where do you get such a fast connection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol just pointing out your mistake.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?