Lady in Distress needs Networking Help Please!

mahalia 15:53 09 Feb 2008

Hello All, I hope you can push me in the right direction regarding the MINEFIELD I've found with WiFi networking!

To start then this is what I want to do. I tried before Christmas and it all went horribly wrong, I took the stuff back for refund and now want to try again.

A] 1 PC, 1 Laptop. Want to be able to access the Internet (maybe both machines at the same time if possible).

B] I live in the country so although the security side of it (WEP, WPA/PSK) is important, I'm not likely to have neighbours/nasty-people-in-Vans-parked-outside stealing info.

C] Neither PC or Lappy has wireless adapter inside - I need dongles or PC Adapter card

Is it possible to a) Hard-wire WiFi modem/router into back of PC then b) install dongle/or PC Adapter in lappy, rather than have dongles in BOTH PC and lappy? OR do I need to use dongles/adapter cards in BOTH PC AND lappy?

Which TYPE of modem/router do I need? There are sooo many types/standards, difficult for the absolute beginner to know WHICH one to go for, but I think (after reading a lot online) G+ probably OK? What about N standard? And what is MIMO ?

D] Next question is - What's the best manufacturer? There are quite a few sets costing in the £40 -s now, as there are in the £90 -s - Belkin, NetGear, Buffalo, etc etc. Which seems to be the Easiest and mist reliable please, but not costing the Earth?

E] BT customer, not Cable.

Sadly, because I live out-in-the-sticks, I can only have BB connection of 512 anyway, but as long as it doesn't degrade slower than this it's fine. Just need to wait for BT to get their act together for us country-bumpkins!!

I'd be very grateful if someone could help me out with this.

Thank you,

ambra4 16:36 09 Feb 2008

First thing I would do is to replace your present BT modem it with an all in one Wireless Modem Router System at a low cost

D-Link AirPlus G+ 54Mbps Wireless ADSL2/2+ Router plus a 54Mbps USB Wireless Adapter

click here

This would allow you access to the Internet via an Ethernet cable hard wire to the desktop and make the laptop wireless

ambra4 16:51 09 Feb 2008

Answer to your questions

A - Both PC would have access at the same time

B – Wireless security is Important so it should be install

C – Purchasing the system above would supply a wireless adapter for the laptop

D – Personal I use D-Link or 3Com equipment as I find Netgear & Belkin equipment not as reliable

E – BT ASDL Broadband

ambra4 17:41 09 Feb 2008

Setting Up a Broadband ADSL2/2+ Wireless Modem/Router

It is strongly recommended by All router suppliers that you use a physically connected cable to the Router via a Ethernet RJ45 cable for router setup.

Using a wireless connected computer for setup is Not recommended to access router setup at any time.

How to set-up the D-Link Equipment

Disconnect the phone line from your present modem

Connect the phone line to the ASDL Socket on the Router

If you have any Phone extensions, Fax Machine, Answering Machine, etc, an ADSL filter must be installed on each wall jack

Connect a second RJ45 Ethernet cable from Port 1 on the Router to the LAN socket on your Computer
Regardless of how many computers you are trying to network together, start with just one
A bad network card, driver, cable, virus, or Spyware on just one PC can jeopardize the integrity of an entire network.
So turn off all but the main PC connected to the router
Once you get the main PC connected to the router working properly you can than connect the laptop
If any firewalls are installed on any of the PCs, uninstall them.

This includes Zone Alarm, Sygate, Kerio, Norton Internet Security, Zero Knowledge Freedom, Cisco VPN Client, F-Secure, McAfee Firewall, Trend Micro, Comodo, PC Tools Firewall Plus etc.

In many cases, disabling the firewall is not enough; you have to actually uninstall it.

Do not install or re-install the firewall until after you have the network functioning properly

You will now need to check that the LAN card and network setting on the desktop computer is set-up correct

click here

mahalia 18:08 09 Feb 2008

thats very helpful indeed! You state:
<<If you have any Phone extensions, Fax Machine, Answering Machine, etc, an ADSL filter must be installed on each wall jack>> My modem is connected straight into a dedicated ADSL plate - I don't have any filters on any other BT socket in the house. Not needed. Is the set up simiar though if I buy other than a D-link modem/router?

ambra4 18:23 09 Feb 2008

Yes but you will have to buy a USB adapter separate as the d-link kit include a wireless adapter

Not all modem router come with a wireless adapter included

mahalia 18:25 09 Feb 2008

I'm not sure whether to go for a PCMCIA card or a USB dongle - is there a difference ?? Speed/reliability wise?

ambra4 18:34 09 Feb 2008

You can not fit a PCMCIA card in a laptop only on a desktop

You need a USB adapter for a laptop that do not have a build in wireless card

If you go to the site in my first posting and click on wireless networking on left hand side

plus wireless routers and adapter usb you would find the cost would double for a router and adapter

ambra4 18:37 09 Feb 2008

s there a difference ?? Speed/reliability wise?

None both have the same speed

mahalia 18:40 09 Feb 2008

this click here
is the card I'm talking about...

ambra4 18:52 09 Feb 2008

Belkin 802.11g Wireless G NoteBook Card

Yes you can also use this card instead of the USB adapter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?