Lacie 1t hard drive

jimbob57 00:27 23 Jan 2010

I recently purchased a lacie 1t external hard drive and all was working well. unfortuately I tried to format my toshiba laptop hard drive with not very good results losing a lot of personal files and folders. The problem I now have is that although I made a back of all files and folders on the Lacie my laptop now does not recognise the external drive. It does however tell me that it is still backing files up!!?? It just is not accessable. I looked in the computer management folder and could not see the drive there either. Could anybody help me with this problem. Thanking you in advance. jimbob57

ICF 07:42 23 Jan 2010

Have you reinstalled the operating system on your laptop?

Diemmess 11:34 23 Jan 2010

There's a clue here.......
"unfortuately I tried to format my toshiba laptop hard drive with not very good results losing a lot of personal files and folders"

Can you describe what you've done - for instance formatting is serious stuff and Windows would not allow you to format the drive (C:) while at the same time running your system.

Do you have the original Windows installation disk or a recovery disk which may have been part of the original purchase deal?

If you can explain exactly what you tried to do, it will help others to suggest a remedy.

jimbob57 23:12 25 Jan 2010

Hi sorry for the delay in replying for a while I was unable to access this forum. Yes I have completly restored windows from the original disc so that is now up and running. I belive that I only deleted a few files and never actually formatted my drive.I also ran from the dos command-diskpart-list disk-select disk and still no mention of the Lacie. The hard drive does seem to be working although it sounded like it was frying eggs yesterday!!I have lost the setup disk as supplied with the hard drive and contacted Lacie to purchase another but the seem to have ;run out of them anyway. lacie also say that the setup disk would not help my computer to recognise the Lacie (as a novice this does seem a little strange to me) I would send it back but I have all my finacial details and do not particuarly want these shown to people. I have tried a couple of repair programmes to retrieve the original files lost but to no avail!

Diemmess 10:15 26 Jan 2010

There should be no noise at all beyond perhaps the faintest hum or whirring.
If the Lacie has a tiny fan inside its case this might make unwelcome noises.

A good friend who might let you plug in to his PC should show whether the Lacie drive is working or not.

I can't grasp the idea that your laptop says it is backing up to the Lacie yet you cannot find it in My Computer.
Are you sure the drive doesn't just have a different letter or place in the list in My Computer?

I wouldn't worry about about an installation disk because the Computer should be alert to the lacie a few seconds after plugging in ot switching the lacie on.

jimbob57 21:16 26 Jan 2010

This problem has me totally baffled as well, I have tried the Lacie on my wife's computer and that does not recognise the drive either.I have double checked and there is definately no recognition of this drive only the main hard drive (29 gig)+ the dvd and floppy drive.

Diemmess 09:45 27 Jan 2010

Either the HD within the Lacie case has truly gone home or the case has.

The noise is clear evidence of failure and unless the enclosure has a tiny cooling fan, then the sound must come from the 1Tb HD it encloses and which is now a bin job.

I have three external cased HDs all containing Western Digital HDs and all different in appearance and construction.

If by a miracle there is no noise any more and the USB lead is a standard one then you could buy and try a replacement from a local store. (A faulty lead could be an answer.)

Otherwise you must decide whether to take a very small chance and return it under the warranty, or if you value your privacy more highly than the cost of a replacement, buy new.

BUT
You still wont know which component - case or HD is at fault, so you could buy a replacement HD and try that in the old case.
If it still doesn't work try a new case.

FINALLY
If it does prove to be the 1Tb HD at fault and you have it out of the case, then relieve your feelings with a heavy hammer on the dud HD and rest easily, your private data has gone for good.

jimbob57 23:41 27 Jan 2010

diemmess and ICF many thanks for your help and patience with the problem I have with my hard drive. Think it is time to get the hammer out.......thanks again. James

ronalddonald 07:18 03 Feb 2010

connection being recognized, are the drivers installed for the drive? have u right clicked on my computer and click on properties and looked at hardware tab to see if device manager is correct, what o/s are you using

ronalddonald 07:18 03 Feb 2010

connection being recognized, are the drivers installed for the drive? have u right clicked on my computer and click on properties and looked at hardware tab to see if device manager is correct, what o/s are you using

jimbob57 19:46 03 Feb 2010

Hi RD I am using XP and have tried to access device manager-properties-hardware but not too sure what you are asking when you say is device manager is corect. there seems no mention of another drive except for the ones within the laptop. I have tried to look for any drivers but cannot see any but the device manager is saying that all drives are up to date?? but think you could be onto something here but I am not 100% sure of what I am looking for! Thanks JK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017