labelling cd's - urgent advice required

raybee 17:06 27 Jan 2005

advice please regarding CD labels - providing they are correctly jigged in position, is it considered safe to use them from the perspective of both (a) possibility of damage to disc and (b) likely damage to player for any reason whatsoever. Mention of any likely hazards most appreciated.

Widows Son 17:17 27 Jan 2005

And the only problem I ever had was with an old Kenwood in car cd player. The label just made it a little too thick for the front loading system. Apart from that no problems at all. Lots of people will tell you of a friend of a friend who lost data due to the glue on the label, but I've never come accross anyone that its actually happened to

Stuartli 17:26 27 Jan 2005

The key point is to get the label centrally situated on the disk to prevent an out of balance configuration - disks have been known to shatter at higher speeds although it is rare.

Another possibility is to obtain a printer that can print direct to appropriate disks.

wallbash 18:21 27 Jan 2005

Used all sorts of labels , always used an applicator .
Never have any problems, have now got a printer able to print straight to disc (canon i865) but still use labels as they give a better result.

Won't use labels on DVD recorder, which resides in the lounge, as its worth £200 , but my dvd/cd recorder installed in base unit worth a great deal less.
I don't think that my ramblings will help , sorry !

bremner 19:43 27 Jan 2005

Taken from this article click here;jsessionid=UWMIWIVQC5AH2QSNDBGCKH0CJUMEKJVN?articleID=15800263&pgno=2

"I did discover bad CDs, but not one--zero--was traceable to a specific brand or dye type. Instead, for me, the only disks that failed were those that I had covered with a glue-on paper label from a print-it-yourself CD label-maker kit. Several of these labeled CDs were, in fact, totally unreadable by every means I tried (including special data-recovery software); all the data on those CDs is just plain gone. My best guess is the glue on these do-it-yourself labels interacted with either the foil or the dye, rendering the CDs useless."

This is an old article and I have not seen many follow up articles proving or disproving the claims made here.

bremner 19:44 27 Jan 2005

Hope this is a better link

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017