Labeling uploaded photos ??

blackpat 10:38 13 Jan 2010

When I up load photos to my computer, and then try to label them, a box come up and says "if you change the file name extension, the file may become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it. yes/no. If I choose yes, I have to go to a box and choose which program to open it, if I choose no, I can't label it. I used to be able to label the photo and just click on it and it would open. I think I must have altered something. Anyone got any ideas?
Blackpat7

Graphicool1 10:50 13 Jan 2010

"if you change the file name extension"
The answer is in the question. Don't change the extension, only change the file name. IE...

If the uploaded file is '123456.jpg' all you change is...

'123456' you can call it anything you like, maybe...

'Picture 01' so it will look like...

'Picture 01.jpg'

Woolwell 11:03 13 Jan 2010

You may have altered the way you view files. One of the folder options under view is hide extensions for known file types. If this is unchecked you will see filename.jpg if checked you will just get filename.

Graphicool1 12:44 13 Jan 2010

In case what I said above wasn't clear...
Open the file containing your photo's on the PC. Right click the name under the photo.
In the pop-up menu scroll down and click 'Rename'
The existing name beneath the photo will be highlighted. IE... 123456.jpg
to change the name 'DO NOT' delete the old name first, only delete the part you are going to change IE... 123456
Place the command prompt at the front of the number or name and delete only that part. You should then be left with .jpg
In the space where the number/name was type the new name. It should now look like this IE
Picture 01.jpg

blackpat 05:52 14 Jan 2010

Graphicool, I followed your instructions and it worked perfectly. It's no problem just to leave the .jpg there. I was just wondering why I never had to do that before.

Woolwell, I think your right about altering the way I view things. I can't see the option to hide extensions for known file types under view.

Thanks both for all your help, I'm much obliged to you both.
Blackpat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache