La Fonera WiFi Nowhere

Condom 13:46 27 Sep 2007

How many others like me have upgraded to the DVD issue of PC Adviser because of the offer of a free WiFi box and find they cannot use it as the very popular Thompson 330 Broadband Modem as well as many other makes cannot attach to the Fonera. Is this box just a waste of space or is there a way round this which this thicko cannot figure out. Perhaps the number suddenly appearing on e-Bay at a fraction of the £30 claim of value by PC Adviser gives me my answer but perhaps you know better???

Bigpeat 15:28 10 Nov 2007

I too have been sent a free La Fonera WiFi router. It was very easy to connect to my BT Voyager ADSL Router, and all the lights come on, but I can't get my laptop to pick up the signal at all despite several attempts. Any suggestions?

anchor 15:59 10 Nov 2007

I know nothing about the Fonera router, but have just read this:

"This router is fairly simple to set up if you already have an ethernet broadband network or another router with a spare ethernet port. Unfortunately it wont work if you only have a USB modem. Another downside is that many ISPs (BT, Wanadoo, etc) do not allow you to use Fon, as selling on your internet service is against their T&C, and they may disconnect you. However, BT are currently in talks with Fon for a partnership deal".

click here

I see that the SpeedTouch 330 is a bus powered USB ADSL modem and, (if the above is correct), won`t work with La Fonera.

anchor 16:05 10 Nov 2007

What do you expect for £14.10?.

click here

crosstrainer 16:45 10 Nov 2007

Are cheaper than the old in your link anchor :) That's got to tell us something.....I have just upgraded my sub to the DVD version, but didn't do it for the router....As you said, it's a non standard device requiring fon to make friends with isp's!

kindly 17:07 24 Nov 2007

I have just started a subscrition to the DVD mag because of the "free gift". I was going to change my Netgear router which is a couple years old now. So when I saw this offer I thought why not. Now reading about it on the net and here, I am thinking that I will not be able to use it as I do use my netgear wireless router without having the signal for other people to log in if they are with Fon. Will I be able to use it or not as a wifi setup with my own ISP which is "talktalk".
cheers everyone

PGTipsX16 11:13 14 Dec 2007

Having just received this 'wonderful gift' for renewing my subscription I entirely agree with these comments and confirm there is no apparent fix available. Further - most people I know seem to have the Thomson type modem without an ethernet port which is completely incompatible with the La Fonera unit.
Checking e-Bay there are currently 6 of these listed with £1.04 being the highest bid!
What on earth are PC Advisor doing offering this unit as surely they realise that people will perceive it reflects on their advice?
May I suggest that everybody who received this unit and can't use it should complain by replying to this forum and PC Advisor will realise the scale of the problem.

Bigpeat 20:37 02 Feb 2008

See my posting of 10.11.07 above. As I said, connecting the equipment was extremely easy. I now have a good connection with my laptop - for some reason the wi-fi function on the laptop was not enabled, but now all is well. I think the Fonera router should be suitable for all users provided they already have an ADSL router with a spare ethernet socket into which they can plug the Fonera. The router supplied by BT seems to fit the bill very well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?