KVM Switches(possibly faulty?)

Chegs ® 11:00 07 May 2004

Hi all,just bought a KVM switch,which is connecting my Linux and XP computers to the one monitor/keyboard/mouse.My problem is switching from Linux to XP is okay,but then when I switch back to the Linux pc,my mouse goes completely mental,refusing to move(Mandrake)or jumping wildly around the screen and refusing to acknowledge mouse clicks(Suse)

If I restart the Linux pc,it works fine until I move the KVM switch,then off we go again.I have tried an optical mouse/standard ball mouse but this didn't help.

Any suggestions anyone?

poogles_uk 11:58 07 May 2004

Does it say compatible with windows and linux?

Gemma 12:18 07 May 2004

Try swapping the cables over to see if the problem moves to the Windows machine. If it does then the KVM is faulty. If it doesn't then the Linux machine mouse driver is "allergic" to the switch. If this is the case, find another driver that may be more tolerant.

Chegs ® 13:44 07 May 2004

I have swopped the cables around between the KVM's ports(4 altogether)There are no KVM drivers needed,its just a switch.I have tried several of the Linux mouse "generic" drivers,but they all produce similar results(either mouse pointer freezes or goes mental)

Any other suggestions?

woodchip 13:55 07 May 2004

As Gemma says if after switching cables it still does it then its Linux that's the problem. other than getting a different Monitor that supports BNC connectors and normal monitor connections I do not know what you can do. As the monitor above can switch by just pressing a button at front of monitor. two comps into one monitor but the signal is just switched with the bnc button

Chegs ® 14:11 07 May 2004

My monitor has BNC connectors(5 of them)and 2 D-Sub connectors and a switch on the front to change between them,but that just cures the video probs of 1 monitor + several PC's.It doesn't address the keyboard(one for each pc)mouse(one for each pc)problems unless anyone knows of a puter desk with several shelves to put them on ;-)

woodchip 14:56 07 May 2004

Yes sorry forgot you have to have two keyboard and mice

Gemma 18:08 07 May 2004

Chegs ® I know that the KVM switch needs no drivers. However, it is not just a switch. It has to fool the "deselected" host(s)of the mouse and keyboard that the devices are attached but idle. What KVM are you using?

Chegs ® 18:23 07 May 2004

Its an unbranded 4 port switch.The only thing it has is a "Data Transfer Switch" lettering and a large "Switch" knob labelled A/B/C/D.Its manual,not an automatic as auto versions could switch pc's during a game(according to a review of KVM switches I was reading)

Gemma 20:27 07 May 2004

I have had a nose around without any success. I hope someone else can help.

Chegs ® 22:10 07 May 2004

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?