Kodak DX4330/Canon Powershot A40/Minolta Dimage X

chrishillcoat 17:27 30 Apr 2003

Hi folks,
I'm considering one of the above cameras as my first digicam. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Kodak for portability/price, but does anyone have any personal opinions? (I've read all the reviews I can find!)

Thanks,
Chris Hillcoat

Filch 19:46 30 Apr 2003

My wife has a Dimage x and it is great. We can print 8x10s, with a great deal of cropping, and it is difficult to tell them from a film print when a negative has been scanned and a digital print made. and that's using the normal mode then saving as a TIFF in the computer. If the highest mode is used, it is impossible. As a professional photographer I still hold to film for professional work, but the Dimage is great for any thing else.

There is a new X, Xi or X something, which is an improvement on the X - 3 mb instead of 2 mb. Costs a bit more and may not be worth the extra if you get a good price on an X. X is no longer available in the USA except for dealers trying to get rid of their stock which gives some very good prices.

961 20:27 30 Apr 2003

My Canon Powershot S45 is the second Canon Digital Camera I have had. The first was A20. Both have given excellent results and are well built with metal cases and good lenses. You won't go wrong with one of these

muddle 20:33 30 Apr 2003

I have the DX4330, which I bought at christmas (after reading all the reviews!).

It was our first digi cam, and have to say it has been brilliant!! The software with it rivals many of the photo suites you would otherwise buy seperately, and I like the fact it is about the same size and weight/proportions of a 35mm camera.

I went to a shop before buying and actually had a 'feel' of a few camera's, and found I got on better with the Kodak - it's heavy enough that you don't wobble too much!

Personally I found the very light camera's felt a bit too flimsy, and I wobbled something awful.

Oh yeh, and it prints perfect A4 prints on my Epson stylus photo 925 (which has edge to edge printing, hence ready to frame!)

chrishillcoat 22:34 30 Apr 2003

Thank you all - now I have an even harder decision to make!

I'll leave the thread open to see if anyone else has any thoughts...

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?