Kindle

colberly 16:01 10 Oct 2010

Can I ask your advice please? I'm thinking of purchasing one of these, but which one? I only tend to read at home or when on holiday for a couple of weeks a year in this country so am thinking the basic £109 one should be OK, thanks for any advice.

northumbria61 16:26 10 Oct 2010

If you have a Router at home and intend to use it mainly at home then go for the Wi-Fi version - as mentioned at £109

Kindle (Wi-Fi) is a great choice if you already have a high-speed internet connection and wireless router setup at home, and do not want the added convenience of a 3G connection which enables you to download ebooks anytime, anywhere on the go. If you do not have Wi-Fi setup in your home, Kindle 3G would be a better option.

Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) is the easiest option because there is no wireless setup—you are ready to shop, purchase, and read right out of the box. Built-in Free 3G connectivity uses the same wireless signals that cell phones use, but there are no monthly fees or commitments—Amazon pays for Kindle’s 3G wireless connectivity. The added convenience of 3G enables you to download ebooks anytime, anywhere on the go—without having to find a Wi-Fi hotspot connection. With wireless coverage in over 100 countries and territories, Kindle 3G is a great option for travelers. Check 3G coverage area.

northumbria61 16:45 10 Oct 2010

Interesting article about the 3G version you may just want to read - click here

iscanut 17:29 10 Oct 2010

Have just bought the £109 version. Did not need the 3G connectivity. Brilliant bit of kit and so easy to download books and a great display. Go for it !

golfpro 09:31 11 Oct 2010

I have had my Kindle now for over a month, and find it brilliant. I bought the 3G + Wi-Fi version, I found this better as I can download books etc on the move plus it works straight out of the box. And for the little bit of extra money well worth it.

northumbria61 16:22 11 Oct 2010

Thanks to you both - I will keep this in mind when I start my Christmas shopping.

lucky1 20:20 11 Oct 2010

Think the F.E. could advise you also.

northumbria61 21:23 11 Oct 2010

Colberly or Golfpro - I should have asked does it come with any books pre-installed and is the cost any higher than buying the paperback from a store ?
I have had a look at Amazon bookstore and I know there are "freebies" but obviously the new releases I would expect to pay for.

tullie 23:38 11 Oct 2010

There are plenty of freebies,mostly very old classics.Have a look on amazon for kindle books.They cost anything from a few pennies to several pounds,ebooks have to pay vat.Some are not as cheap as some you can buy in your local supermarket.

colberly 10:03 12 Oct 2010

Well after prevaricating for several days I've finally taken the plunge and ordered the £109 one, so lets hope it lives up to expectations. Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone