killed pc

dirgo 18:15 16 Nov 2008

thanks to all who sorted my last prob. my mates computer was chocabloc with viruses, anyway to cut a long story short i put a kill disc in and formatted the hardrive. when we came to reinstall windows i could not get it to boot from cd, i altered the bios settings to set to boot from cd as the first priority but nothing happens when i click f12 to save and exit. i did exactly the same procedure on my own computer without any problem his computer is a dell dimension 5150 any suggestions ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:26 16 Nov 2008

You may need to reset the BIOS by either using the clear jumper setting or by removing the CMOS battery for 10 mins.

dirgo 19:50 16 Nov 2008

hi fruit bat never done anything like this before are the jumpers easy to see and reset as iam not certain what to look for i dont have the pc with me will have to wait until tomorrow

MAT ALAN 20:09 16 Nov 2008

click here

taking out CMOS battery is the easiest option, easy to recognise, the link will help...

lotvic 22:53 16 Nov 2008

may I point you to the dell dimension 5150 Owner's Manual (.pdf) (9.13 MB) click here

dirgo - you may have removed the ability to restore the pc to factory settings by using killdisk, however it is worth a try.
page 55 of manual
Use Dell PC Restore by Symantec only as the last method to restore your operating system.
PC Restore restores your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you purchased the computer.
Any programs or files added since you received your computer—including data files—are permanently
deleted from the hard drive. Data files include documents, spreadsheets, e-mail messages, digital photos,
music files, and so on. If possible, back up all data before using PC Restore.
To use PC Restore:
1 Turn on the computer.
During the boot process, a blue bar with click here appears at the top of the screen.
2 Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.
If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish starting, and then restart the
computer again.
NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot in the following step.
3 On the next screen that appears, click Restore.
4 On the next screen, click Confirm.
The restore process takes approximately 6–10 minutes to complete.

lotvic 23:01 16 Nov 2008

with a bit of luck you have only 'killdisked' the C: partition. The hidden partitions - EISA Configuration (diagnostics) about 47 MB, and 'unknown Partition' of about 4 GB (contains the image to restore) will still be there.

ronalddonald 00:52 18 Nov 2008

reset my bios as i forgot my set up password, its easy to do and you can get eh jumpers form Maplin, if you have an instruction manual on the motherboard or pdf file follow the instructions from there. Make sure you unplug the computer completely and make sure you wear one of those electric wrist dispersers, before you take the cover off.

once you located the where you have to insert the jumpers you insert them fo about 30 seconds and then replace the cover and plug in your machine and start her up.

tullie 03:56 18 Nov 2008

Jumpers from Maplin?Thats something ive learned thought they were on the back of the drive,thanks for the info.

lotvic 21:19 18 Nov 2008

owners manual page 116
Reset the current CMOS settings:
a. Locate the 3-pin CMOS jumper (RTCRST) on the system board (see "System Board
Components" on page 67).
b. Remove the jumper plug from pins 2 and 3.
c. Place the jumper plug on pins 1 and 2 and wait approximately five seconds.
d. Replace the jumper plug on pins 2 and 3.

page 100/101 for taking battery out

dirgo 22:14 18 Nov 2008

thanks for you help my mate is away just now so can,t get to try to fix but i will let you know the outcome thanks

keef66 14:51 20 Nov 2008

My mate used killdisk on his old pc intending to pass it on to his dad (the I.T. bods here at work suggested it). Couldn't install anything afterwards. I sold him an old 80gig HDD which I'd simply formatted and that worked OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?