Keys not working on laptop

jam500 19:20 21 Mar 2007

Hi, My wife wishes to buy a cheap laptop off ebay, But the lappy she is interested in has 2 keys that dont work. I know nobody knows if its fixable here as i dont even know but was wondering if its an easy job to investigate.

Technotiger 19:25 21 Mar 2007

Hi, hmmm - 2 keys not working, 2nd hand, wonder what other problems it may hold. Personally I would not touch it - I am sure there are other laptops out there that will be fully operational and probably just as cheap.

phono 19:29 21 Mar 2007

A laptop keyboard is not too difficult to replace if you are reasonably handy and is even easier if you can get access to a service manual.

I have even been able to repair a couple in my time, but only a couple out of a large number.

The downside is that replacement keyboards are usually very expensive and sometimes hard to source, as a result even secondhand units can also be very expensive.

Unless the laptop is very very cheap and you are prepared to take a gamble I would advise leaving it alone.

jam500 06:24 22 Mar 2007

Ok, Thanks for the advice. It was £30 and my wife just needs something around that price just to write some uni notes and essays on.

abbie2k6 06:29 22 Mar 2007

just an idea,could you attatch a usb keyboard
and get it working that way?

phono 20:35 22 Mar 2007

If the laptop is okay in every other way you may be able to attach a PS2 keyboard to it as most laptops have a PS2 connector for keyboard or mouse to connect to.

I would imagine, because of the asking price, it is relatively old so a USB keyboard may not work well with it, for £30 and the price of a keyboard it may be fine for your wife's needs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?