keyboards to connect to a lap top

catty 23:41 28 Jul 2003

can you help me i want to connect a full size keyboard to my lap top what type can i use and what connection on my lap top do i need and what is the difference for example from a cordless keyboad and a keyboard for internet use

DieSse 23:54 28 Jul 2003

The common laptop connection is a PS/2 connector - but not all laptops have them. Check in your manual. Unfortunately they look similar to some other connectors, so a description is not a good idea.

Otherwise you may have to use a USB connection.

A crdless keyboard simply works by wireless. The keyboard itself has no cable - just a transceiver. The other half of the system - another transceiver, plugs into the keyboard connector on the laptop.

An internet keyboard, and/or multimedia keboard has extra keys for internet/multimedia purpose - such as a "connect to web" key, and a "Volume Control" key - usually quite a few of them

A corede keyboard may be either normal, or Internet/multimedia - as may a cordless one.

jazzypop 23:57 28 Jul 2003

Assuming you have a spare USB port on your laptop, a USB keyboard will be the most convenient. This is because you can plug and unplug it as you wish.

The alternative is a PS/2 keyboard, which (often) must be connected before you turn on the laptop - although this will vary from laptop to laptop.

Most decent keyboards are sold with connectors that will allow you to use either USB or PS/2 ports on your laptop.

An 'Internet' keyboard is not a strictly defined term, but is a marketing term for a keyboard with dedicated buttons for things such as starting up your browser, flicking backwards/forwards through web pages, and perhaps even a scroll wheel.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?