Keyboard wont work during setup

RickB 14:02 08 Jan 2008

Hi. I want to change some "setup" settings. While booting up, i hit "Del" and enter set up ok, but after that it won't take any keyboard commands. No response - everything is ignored. I have to reboot from the system reboot button.

Any ideas on why this should be?

Rick

recap 15:31 08 Jan 2008

If your keyboard is a wireless one, then the drivers for this may not be recognised in the boot sequence?

pj123 16:07 08 Jan 2008

Or a USB keyboard, even? The USB drivers won't be loaded yet.

Fingees 16:53 08 Jan 2008

If it's a USB
you should be able to enable it in the bios, or else set USB legacy in the bios to recognise it.

Fingees 16:57 08 Jan 2008

The keyboard must bew working to operate getting into bios setup .

RickB 17:09 08 Jan 2008

Thanks guys - i can get into bios setup but only that far, after that initial access, nothing. The keyboard is wireless connected via the PS2 interface - its been working just fine for ages and still does once Windows boots up. I've just gone and bought a cheap USB one to see if that works but i'm not overly confident. Its a chicken and egg problem - i can't enable or do anything in the BIOS as the keyboard is not seen!!

ambra4 17:12 08 Jan 2008

You need to connect a PS2 keyboard during set up or to access the bois setting

A USB keyboard will not work untill windows is up and running

(which is the reasion I do not ever use a USB Keyboard or Mouse)

If your keyboard is a PS2 wireless it will work if USB type you must install a PS2 keyboard,

RickB 17:53 08 Jan 2008

Yup - tried the USB keyboard and no good. Tried another PS2 keyboard too, nothing there either. Could this be a BIOS problem - in which case is it a new mobo??

Peants68 17:57 08 Jan 2008

Ambra is right, you have to get yourself a PS2 keyboard and mouse. Then you can load your wireless ones later. There plenty of cheapies. Mine sits in the attic just in case.

ambra4 17:58 08 Jan 2008

Did you power down the computer and change the keyboard to a PS2 type from the USB type

RickB 18:06 08 Jan 2008

Yes - PS2 wireless keyboard put back after powering down. Still won't work in BIOS. Works ok after Windows gets going. Stumps me!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?