Keyboard problem with Compaq Laptop

bilnrobn 13:14 06 Jul 2006

I am new here and looking for help with my year old Compaq Presario M2000 Laptop. The OS is Windows XP.
The 'm' key on the keyboard has suddenly started to malfunction. I don't think it is dust under the key or anything like that, firstly because I have sucked and blown it out, secondly because of the nature of the problem. Unshifted the key does nothing. Shifted it produces a 'M' as it should. With Cap Lock set it does nothing, but if I also depress the shift key it produces 'm' as it should. So the key is working under certain conditions. (Also, Windows key/m minimizes all screens as it should).
Can anyone advise me:
What is causing this? (I can't even work out if it is hardware or software.)
How can I fix it?
If the fix is unknown where can I go to find out?
How do I get into the BIOS in this model? (I think there is information on this during bootup, but it is two lines long and lasts about a nanosecond!)
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Bill.

recap 14:19 06 Jul 2006

I owuld first check for the latest driver for the keyboard. XP does not much like old drivers and can cause problems.

bilnrobn 14:35 06 Jul 2006

Thanks for the quick response recap. The driver in it is the one that was there when we bought it and XP was also in residence. It took a year for the problem to materialise.
Do you know where I should go to check whether I have the correct driver?

bilnrobn 14:35 06 Jul 2006

Thanks for the quick response recap. The driver in it is the one that was there when we bought it and XP was also in residence. It took a year for the problem to materialise.
Do you know where I should go to check whether I have the correct driver?

bilnrobn 14:36 06 Jul 2006

Ooops! Sorry about the double post!

recap 15:14 06 Jul 2006

Open Control Panel/Keyboard, in the keyboard properties window click the hardware tab, then the Properties button. In the properties window click the Driver tab. In here you can see which version of driver you have. Go to the manufactures web site and see if there are any newer versions available.

bilnrobn 06:26 07 Jul 2006

Thanks for that recap, it lead me right to the search for newer driver. Unfortunately the result was a notification that I have the right version driver. Any other ideas you, (or anyone else), can suggest would be welcome. I've run out of ideas myself. A friend says a new keyboard, but I obviously want a more palatable solution.

bilnrobn 11:09 11 Jul 2006

Well the problem is solved!
I had installed Skype and removing Skype solved the problem. I imagine it was conflicting with another program... whatever, but for anyone else who experiences this problem first suspect any software you installed between when you know the computer was OK and when you found the problem. If unsure do a system restore to the most recent restore point prior to the last time you know the system was OK. (I am assuming you have already run your Anti-virus and spyware programs and they came up clean.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?