keyboard problem

toga 16:15 26 Jan 2003

My keyboard is not working (I am using win98se on an old machine). Its was working ok, prior to installing additional ram.

Now that I have installed the additional ram I get a CMOS Check sum error (even when I remove the ram).

I need to run a setup program (by pressing DEL) or press F1 to continue but I can't because of the keyboard.

The keyboard works on another machine - any ideas??

Lú-tzé 16:49 26 Jan 2003

Your pc needs you to go into SETUP (i.e. the BIOS) to change something. But if you cannot use the keyboard to get in you may need to do something else.

First of all, are you using a USB keyboard? If so, try a ps2 keyboard (small round connector).

Or try a different keyboard even though you know this one works ok.

If not, then it sounds as if you may need to remove the CMOS battery (but only as a last resort).

-pops- 16:52 26 Jan 2003

Checksum errors are almost always caused by the motherboard battery failure.

Replacement would be my first course of action

Brian

Lú-tzé 16:55 26 Jan 2003

Lú-tzé says: last resort

-pops- says: first course of action

Just goes to show how some are braver than others! :-}

Lú-tzé 20:31 26 Jan 2003

Message from toga:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I am using a PS2 keyboard and I have tried another keyboard without any luck.

There are x2 USB ports and x2 Serial ports at the back of the computer. Would it be possible to use some sort of adapter in order to attach the keyboard to one of these?

Thanks toga.

End of message.

Yes, there is such a thing as a serial to PS2 convertor (and indeed PS2 - USB) but I am not sure that it will be an advantage to you now.

Try replacing the cmos battery - do you know the mobo type? Generally speaking the batteries are not difficult to replace but it depends on the mobo.

DieSse 20:36 26 Jan 2003

Have you been changing the RAM with the system still plugged it to the mains. Simply switching off by normal means is not enough - the system must be switched off by the switch at the back of the PSU (if there is one) - or the switch on the wall - or by unplugging.

If you don't you can do untold damage.

woodchip 21:08 26 Jan 2003

It may be the motherboard's 5 volts supply I had that problem and I had to run a separate wire from the 5 volts supply on the motherboard plug connection. The 5 volts pin on the mini PS/2 connector looking from the end of the plug is pin 2 clockwise with the notch peg at the top. You need to check that with a multimeter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?