Keyboard Problem!

DimebuckeR77 11:09 17 Dec 2009

hey there, so here's my problem...all my keys work...UNTILL, num lock is activated, then some of my keys are messed around, for example;

U=4
i=5
o=6
p=*
1=j
k=2
l=3
;=-
m=0
/=+
0=/

now this isn't a regional and language settings issue, as far as i can see the original keys have been made to be a second num pad...weird...i have no idea how this happened.

anyone here able to help?

howard64 12:45 17 Dec 2009

it sounds as though your mouse prog has been corrupted. If it is the normal windows one you will probably have to run sfc /scannow to sort the files out. If you have a fancy keyboard with its own driver you will have to uninstall it and then the cd again.

howard64 12:46 17 Dec 2009

and then the run the installation cd again.

Sea Urchin 12:52 17 Dec 2009

Are you using a laptop. The Num Lock key on a laptop can convert certain alpha keys into a number pad. But yours looks rather more out of control than that.

click here

VoG II 12:52 17 Dec 2009

That sounds absolutely normal for a laptop keyboard. If you look carefully you should see the numbers and operators marked on the keys (normally in blue).

DieSse 20:46 17 Dec 2009

VoG™ is correct - this is normal for a laptop keyboard, which doesn't have a separate numeric pad.

Is yours a laptop?

DieSse 20:49 17 Dec 2009

If not - then somehow you've got the wrong type of keyboard specified, rather than a normal 102-key one.

Look in Device Manager and see what it says.

lotvic 22:21 17 Dec 2009

Perfectly normal for my 'ThinkPad'
in fact they are marked on the keys as such.
To turn off the NumLk hold down shift and press NumLk

DimebuckeR77 15:28 18 Dec 2009

Hey guys, sorry for not replying sooner, I haven't been able to get on to my computer untill now.

yeah, its my laptop keyboard. It's an hp pavilion dv 9000 and it has it's own seperate num pad, soo...

I don't understand... it's never done this before, usually when the num lock is on, it just locked the num pad, and that was fine, and when it was off I could use it. (I pretty much always have num lock off cause I nearly always use the num pad) But now when the num lock is off, it changes the said keys, and its pretty annoyng having to always turn the num lock on and off when I need to type something.

Like I said it looks to me like the function of the num lock key has been changed to make the m , . j k l u i o keys into a secondary num pad, but I didn't do this myself and I want to know how to make it right,

Anyone got any ideas?...

Sea Urchin 15:44 18 Dec 2009

As several people have said this is normal behaviour for a laptop

This is taken from the User Manual for your laptop page 1-13

8 num lock key:
Enables numeric lock, turns on the embedded numeric keypad, and turns the num lock light.

DimebuckeR77 15:54 18 Dec 2009

So how do I get it to go back to how it was?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?