Keyboard Problem

The Teacher 22:31 05 Oct 2003

I have recently purchased an "internet" ready keyboard. Before installing I removed reference to my old keyboard.

I have now two problems: the first is when I turn on the PC, the keyboard does not light up, although the PC loads windows etc., normally. I have to turn off, not restart, and on again before the keyboard is recognised. All then works well except for the second problem.

This is that the keyboard locks and I can do no typing or whatever with it. I have not yet had this problem in word, only when typing in fora etc..

This is really peeing me off as I am a qualified typist, 60wpm minimum, and to have keep waiting whilst the keyboard unlocks is frustrating. This problem coincides with the monitor icons lighting up, as though data is being transmitted/recieved, and with some disc activity.

I have run virus checks etc., and oannot find a cause for this.

The keyboard is an Ace-type multimedia and internet keyboard. It uses MS Intellitype Pro software, that is, apparently, built in for immediate use with my OS, Win ME.

I am aware that I could look to update the software but as it is a brand new keyboard I am of the opinion that this is not yet necessary. The settings facility with the keyboard allows you to alter the cursor flash rate, character repeat rate and character delay rate. I have tried these on various settings but still have the same problem.

Many Thanks

User-312386 22:33 05 Oct 2003

i would update the software as the keyboard could have sitting on the shelf at the store for 4 months and a bug may have been found by the manufacturer and been fixed

try updating software 1st then come back here

woodchip 22:37 05 Oct 2003

What reference did you remove. As there is only one place you should remove it from , and that is the Device Manager. you should then switch of the computer and connect the new keyboard and restart and load the software for it, if it's a USB keyboard you should load software and drivers from the CD that you got with the keyboard and not let Windows load any drivers

The Teacher 22:52 05 Oct 2003

I used device manager. The keyboard is not USB, it was a case of pulling the plug of the old keyboard and then plugging in the new one at the back of the PC.

The software for the keyboard came on a floppy which was checked before it was used.

I have been to MS, downloaded the software and then get the message that "the installation cannot continue as this software version is not supported for this version of Windows"

As I specifically requested ME as my OS I cannot see why a download supplied by MS will not then work!

woodchip 23:01 05 Oct 2003

You should only run the floppy software not MS

woodchip 23:03 05 Oct 2003

On the floppy there should be a setup or install file to double click on in Explorer

The Teacher 23:16 05 Oct 2003

Done that, and the keyboard genrally works fine except for posted above.

The Teacher 22:13 11 Oct 2003

I seem to have solved the problem of the keyboard not typing; I put it down to installing Steganos Security Suite 4. I had no problems before, and I haven't had any since I removed it.

However the problem that does remain is the fact that I still have to switch on and off before the keyboard is recognised. I removed reference to the old keyboard via device manager but each time I switch back on the reference is still there, although the resources etc., are listed for the new keyboard. A message in properties for the old keyboard says that no resources can be found for the keyboard.

If I have removed it once and there are no resources being used by the old keyboard, why is it still listed?

Djohn 22:26 11 Oct 2003

Have you had a look in add/remove programs for any reference to the old keyboard, hardware, or software? j.

woodchip 23:12 11 Oct 2003

Have a look in in the C:\Windows\inf\other folder for an inf file that is for the old keyboard and remove it or rename from inf to old

The Teacher 21:30 15 Oct 2003

Done that, only the new keyboard shows up.

I have been informed, however, that as the old keyboard came with the OS pre-installed, i.e. OEM, the old keyboard cannot be removed unless I dig deep in the registry, (I don't know enough to do that) or to re-install windows with the new keyboard attached.

I am not re-installing as it was only done recently, when BB was installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?