Keyboard not responding

AngelicAngel 13:21 20 Nov 2006

Hi
A friend has asked me to post a question on his behalf. The problem is as follows:
His keyboard lights flash on and off when he loads his system up, but then when he gets to the login screen for windows the keyboard doesn't work. We have tried a different keyboard but the same happens with that. Both keyboards are running on a USB port so would trying a PS2 keyboard help? Everything was fine yesterday until a student staying with them did something on the pc. (obviously not sure what he did)Seeing as the student is Chinese and doesn't speak good english it's awkward to ask him what he did. There is only 1 account to access from the welcome screen which requires a password, but seeing as the keyboard won't function he can't access anything.
Is there a way of starting windows without a keyboard for the password.
Any help would be very grateful as it's got be beat at the moment.
O/S Windows XP SP2

Diodorus Siculus 13:30 20 Nov 2006

As you suggest, try a PS2 keyboard; that will allow the PC to install the drivers for the USB kyboard in case they have been removed / disabled.

birdface 13:38 20 Nov 2006

Or try in Safe mode, And press last good configuration, Dont know if that would do it.

AngelicAngel 13:40 20 Nov 2006

I tried the last good configuration etc but you had to use the keyboard to access which option you wanted which didn't help seeing as the keyboard wasn't working.

birdface 13:51 20 Nov 2006

OOps, sorry. Dont suppose the enter button on keyboard would have done it.

birdface 13:52 20 Nov 2006

Oops and keyboard does not work either, Sorry, just having a bad day.

AngelicAngel 15:18 20 Nov 2006

No Problem...Got it sorted now i think...Managed to get a PS2 keyboard to work so got into system. Drivers had been uninstalled so in the process of re-installing the drivers. Thanks for all the help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?