Keyboard & Mouse not working

cheryls_house 19:17 30 Nov 2008

The keyboard and the mouse has stopped working on one of my computers. I have tried using ones that I know work from my other computers and still nothing. I have also tried to use usb keyboard and mouse. They also do not work. I saw that the keybord and mouse pin connection is part of the motherboard components. That is why I tried the usb. I am just guessing at stuff. Any advice on what the problem may be or what I can try ? Am I correct in thinking that it does not matter wether I use usb or pin connection if something in the board controls those two things ?
Thats makes me think that its not just in the pin connection. Ugh I have have been fooling with this all day and it is back to my real job tommorrow so I hope I can resolve this or just give up one or the other. Thanks !!

ambra4 19:42 30 Nov 2008

Check the bios if the USB keyboard and mouse setting is enabled

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:59 30 Nov 2008

If USB legacy for DOS is disabled and the PS2 keyboard doesn't work I don't know how you are going to get into the BIOS to change anything.

May be resetting the BIOS to default settings by using the clear jumper setting or by removing the CMOS battery for 10 minutes, might help.

cheryls_house 20:09 30 Nov 2008

you know what I was so caught up in getting the mouse and keyboard to work I forgot to mention that one of the reasons it a BIG problem is the computer also will not load windows. The display just goes blank. Yesterday ( out of luck ) I managed to hit the F10 while rebooting and I got it to go to restore but then the keyboard stopped working again so I cound not hit next to restart the computer again. I had to just power off and now with out the keyboard working I can not use the F10 option again :( so thats why I have been hell bent on at least getting the keybord to work. I do not think I can manuever the options in the setup with out the keyboard but I will go try.

Cheryl

cheryls_house 20:37 30 Nov 2008

I removed the battery for 10 min and put it back in. It boots to the cmos menu to reset but still no keyboard so I can not manuever to change any settings. Darn !

cheryls_house 23:00 30 Nov 2008

I was wondering if it could be my motherboard has gone out.If so are motherboards interchangable? I have an old e-machines with an intel processor.
The newer computer has a AMD if that even matters.
Aren't the rest of the computer ie: hard drive, cd/dvd drives, etc. just add ons that can configure to the other motherboard. That may be a dumb thought but that is what I was thinking and I am out of any other thoughts.
This is for my teenagers PC and OMG if I do not get it working life is going to really be a drag around here.

Thanks !
Cheryl

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?