keyboard and mice doing strange things

villageidiot 16:49 16 Mar 2007

why have my keyboard and mice suddenly started to mis_behave?

keyboard does not respond to caps key> the following six symbols should be commas and stops >>>
upper row will not type numerals just symbols whether on normal or caps>

mice (ps" and usb) no longer insert the cursor> they select huge chunks of text in webpages word documents and excel and the scroll wheel does not do anything>

no problem shown in device manager cannot uninstall and reinstall because windows does not recognise a problem so no uninstall button in properties window

big plea for help _ computer is unusable
what has gone wrong?
anything to do with just updating ie seven?
restore wont work cannot clicking on button does nothing
sorry about typos cannot go backto correct anything because mouse pointer just selects all text back from the end of this text>

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:58 16 Mar 2007

Wireless keyboard?

renew batteries.

Check device manager for errors unistall and reinstall keyboard drivers.

villageidiot 17:41 16 Mar 2007

System now back to normal.

I managed to uninstall both mouse drivers (PS/2 and USB HID Complient), and reboot.

While rebooting, I did lift the PS/2 keyboard (Plugged in) from the back of the computer desk, where it has been residing because I usually use the USB keyboard.

Having got three input devices not working, I didn't check the fourth one, the PS/2 keyboard.

So the most likely explanation is perhaps that a cable was pressing a key on that keyboard. Alternatively re-installing the mice drivers did the trick.

I know I should only change one thing at a time, but I'm only human!! My non-de-plume wasn't chosen lightly!!!

Fruitbat - Many thanks for your help. (Although Device Manager was showing everything "hunky-dory", and PS/2 mouse doesn't use batteries. Unfortunately we will never know whether uninstalling drivers did the trick.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?