Keyboard keys altered

Henrik Ibsen 21:16 25 Jun 2005

Hello, I've had this problem before and I can't remember what I did to recover it. Basically, the right-hand side of my keyboard has gone awry and I'm typing with my on-screen keyboard.

My current keyboard config is:-

uiop = 456- respectively
jkl; = 123+ respectively
m = 0

That means to say that when I type qwertyuiop, it comes out as qwerty456-.

Someone here helped me sort this out last time a long time ago. Please help.

Best Regards,

Henrik Ibsen

bremner 21:30 25 Jun 2005

Delete the keyboard in Device Manager and then reboot - see if that cures it

Stuartli 23:19 25 Jun 2005

Also have you checked out Regional and Language configuration in Control Panel, which should be set to English UK?

Henrik Ibsen 23:28 25 Jun 2005

I'm afraid I can't do that. My computer is a laptop and needs the keyboard in order to boot up. I remember last time that the solution was actually quite simple but I can't remember what it was, like maybe it recognised the keyboard as a normal PC one with a numberpad to the right-hand side.

Henrik Ibsen 00:01 26 Jun 2005

Okay, I've managed to uninstall but it says that it cannot reinstall. However, when I type on the screen, there is no difference. It's the same (problematic) keyboard config but at least something appears onscreen!

Meanwhile, the Regional and Language config remains normal, so still no results yet.

nhojnhoj35 00:35 26 Jun 2005

i have exactly the same problem with a sony laptop. any help please

Henrik Ibsen 01:22 26 Jun 2005

Got it fixed with advice from elsewhere. This was what I was told:-

Check your "Function" keys. One of them is used to turn the Number Keypad on. On the side or the front of one of those keys it should say something like "N". If you look at the front of your U, I, O & P keys, it should say 4, 5, 6 & -, yes???

After reading this, I looked but couldn't find an 'N' as mentioned, but I experimented and found that the NumLock was the offending key.

Henrik Ibsen 01:24 26 Jun 2005

nhojnhoj35, can you tell me if this has been useful, then I close the thread.

Henrik Ibsen 01:26 26 Jun 2005

nhojnhoj35, can you tell me if this has been useful, then I close the thread?

Stuartli 10:44 26 Jun 2005

>>and found that the NumLock was the offending key>>

The N will be the abbreviation for NumLock, presumably because of your laptop being narrower than a standard keyboard - the keys are dual purpose in the same manner as using Shift i.e. they can be used for entering numbers or, alternatively as a cursor control, Home or Page Up or Down depending on the key used. The function should be stated on individual keys.

As someone who uses a standard keyboard 99.9 per cent of the time, I find a laptop's slightly different use of keys for various purposes such as Delete can be somewhat time wasting on the rare occasion I have access to one...:-)

Having said that, however, whether the numeric pad is NumLock enabled or not shouldn't really make any difference to booting up.

nhojnhoj35 13:55 26 Jun 2005

Hi. I cant believe it but yes it was the numlock key that caused the problem. How stupid do i feel!!
Trouble now is that I uninstalled the keyboard and rebooted and now Im getting `keyboard driver initialsation failed` although if i cancel this it seems to be working OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie