keyboard help!!

diddi.ash 19:16 07 Feb 2006

I have the basic keyboard 01 and have just bought a multimedia keyboaed 05, it says on the instructions to uninstall the old keyboard first, i just wanted to know if this is correct or can i just leave it on my computer as im not sure if my old one came with a disc to install like this new one has!

Forum Editor 19:19 07 Feb 2006

and then plug in the keyboard. Don't worry about the previous keyboard's driver - it was probably a generic Windows driver.

diddi.ash 19:27 07 Feb 2006

What while the computer is still on?

As it says when the old keyboard is uninstalled, shut the computer down.
disconnect the old and connect the new, restart and the keyboard is recognised, then place the cd in and click on 'setup'
so if i dont uninstall old one i just disconnect and replace with new while the computer is on?
Also the old one is a gereric windows driver so can i connect this one to another computer without a cd to install it?

rdave13 19:35 07 Feb 2006

Yes.

diddi.ash 19:39 07 Feb 2006

and i Run the installer disk first, before disconnecting old and connecting new??

SG Atlantis® 19:41 07 Feb 2006

yes again.

jack 19:45 07 Feb 2006

I did not see- but if the Keyboard is a PS2 type
small round connector [ as opposed to USB] then the computer must be shutdown /restarted to activate.

SG Atlantis® 19:47 07 Feb 2006

1. install new drivers of the cd.

2. Shut down computer.

3. Swap keyboards over

4. Turn computer back on

5. That's it!

diddi.ash 20:10 07 Feb 2006

Thats great i will do that thanks for your help!!

Just another question my son has just got a wireless keyboard & mouse and on the instructions for that it says to make sure the computer is of before connecting the ps/2 adaptor but it also has the usb as well and i will only be connecting the usb!!
Does the same apply if i am just connecting the usb part, i can put the softwar cd in first before conneting it??

SG Atlantis® 21:00 07 Feb 2006

yes software first, the connect it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?