keyboard failure, then chksk freezes on index

First Bass 11:03 25 Nov 2008

I had a keyboard failure message, tried another keyboard which worked, then failed, but then the old keyboard was recognised again. Machine then rebooted as far as chkdsk where it either reboots repeatedly or sticks on chkdsk Index (part 2 of 3). I have tried resetting default BIOS values, and I have tried booting with the XP pro disk, which only manages to load Barts PE. Bart's stuff has been running for 12 hours with no error messages so far, but I'm not sure what good this will do. Is this an imminent HDD failure, or has Windows been corrupted?

johndrew 14:14 25 Nov 2008

CHKDSK goes through the first two levels quite quickly but takes a while to complete part 3. Once started you should go and make a cup of tea and read the paper for a while.

If you read the `Notes` in click here it does warn you of the prolonged period it takes to carry out the checks.

First Bass 15:13 25 Nov 2008

Thanks John. Chkdsk was repeatedly stuck at 0 per cent checked of part 2 (of 3), Index checking - I thought this was odd, but I'll try waiting for it. The Bart's stuff has run for 16 hours and isn't showing any errors so far.

First Bass 18:25 27 Nov 2008

The chkdsk completed OK, so I was then able to move on to repairing windows and fixing other configuration problems. Some very helpful advice I was able to follow had been posted in October by cerealis, with the usual excellent comments by fruitbat. Nearly there! Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone